maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

MTBO in Auckland

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 16 August 2002, 5:49 AM  
A notice to all those north of the Bombay Hills - MTBO is happening in Auckland, with events on Sat 7 September and Sat 19 October, followed by the NZ MTBO Champs on the weekend of 2/3 November.

Go to www.lacticturkey.co.nz for more information

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 August 2002, 3:16 AM  
is this event being organised by elites, nzof or those associated with either????

if it is they show a total lack of regard for this concept known as "the Super Series"

which event will the Auckland elites choose? Presumably as national squad members trying to support NZ elite (real) orienteering they will be in christchurch?

Otherwise what an unbelievable total cop-out.....

Jamie

Show Profile  darren Posted: 19 August 2002, 9:09 AM  
I agree Jamie, an unfortunate clash. The event definitely will have NZOF input it is after all the National MTBO Champs but I am not aware of any current National Squad members being involved.
Don't get too excited by it all, most Nth Island squaddies have already been to the Sth Island for the Nationals so probably wouldn't come down anyway.
At the end of the day it is a tough decision, National Champs or Super Series?
I guess what always happens will continue to happen, people will choose based on what they can afford to do.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 August 2002, 2:26 PM  
Are the Canterbury Champs happening, everyone I've asked said that they are not sure, which makes it hard to plan to run an event if it is not going to happen. Can someone please confirm if they are going ahead.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 August 2002, 2:12 AM  
Can anybody remember the last time Jamie had anything positive to say about Orienteering?

It is an unfortunate clash, but unavoidable. The spring calendar is bloody full of events and the clash was discussed with the NZOF GM before being set in concrete. I feel sorry for Jase, Rach and Jenni and personally I hope they support their local event. If they do, then the super series hasn't been affected. I doubt whether elites from Auckland would have travelled to Christchurch for the Canterbury Champs. Especially after one trip to the SI this year and so soon after the more keen ones have been in Oz.

To be consistent Jamie, I hope you've written to Bruce McL and given him an earful as his Queenstown EPIC also clashes with the final round of that well-publicised, well-regarded elite league known as the super series.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 August 2002, 10:25 AM  
Perhaps this clash has provided us with one good thing... the knowledge of a need for better date planning. Perhaps the NZOF and Clubs can together work out a date system, where Major events are planned to allow plenty of time for consultation between all party's.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 21 August 2002, 1:01 AM  
Thanks Rob C,

Yes, I did point out the clash to Bruce.

It's just that it makes me laugh, it seems like every year someone tries to re-invent the waterbed and promote an "elite series". Everyone is like yeah yeah yeah we'll try and make it work....then they don't. Then I do another post to maptalk and they put out the excuses.

I was inherently cynical about this 'super series' but was one of those who tried to make it work, even travelling to Auckland from Dunedin to participate (my second trip to the NI this year...possibly not my last). Howcome some Auckland orienteers can't come to Chch, an hour and a half flight, which depending on availability of freedoms cheapest flight will be almost fully funded if there is still money in the kitty. ...........(confusion). And how many actually made it to nationals!!!! (answer: not many)

The sentiments expressed by Rob and Darrren are just cop-outs, unless they admit that the concept of a super-series is dead, and completely renounce such a concept

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 21 August 2002, 12:30 PM  
No, I'm not going to admit the super series is dead - that's up to the Squad who can support it if they want.

My comments about Aklders coming down to Chch are based on my perception that they probably won't. You may be right Jamie to question their commitment.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 21 August 2002, 1:20 PM  
Is it to late to make the MTBO Nationals part of the Super Series? I'm off to polish my bike.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 21 August 2002, 2:34 PM  
Darren I don't see MTO as 'real' orienteering as Jamie puts it, so why should it be included in the super series.
I thought funding was going more towards trying to improve our domestic competiton, therefore money should be available for those committed enough in going to the races that have been given importance in our domestic season (or races as we don't have a season as such)
If people aren't going to support this then why is there money going towards it, if the majority of people don't want to be committed enough then I think the money should be used in a different manner between those who are - in the long run aren't we trying to improve our elite level and spending money on those that aren't committed isn't going to improve shit.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 22 August 2002, 1:00 AM  
Considering this years Super Series was organised by an employee of a corrupt accounting firm I am not surprised it is in such shambles. At least it wont be too hard to improve the series for next year when it will be back and better. Hopefully the series wont include second rate events in the South Island just to make up numbers and to make it "fair" for complaining South Islanders such as Jamie.

On a brighter note the MTBO national champs sound like an excellent event. It even has a small series of events leading up to it. If only foot orienteering was as well organised as that!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 August 2002, 7:34 AM  
Which is worse, second rate events or second rate orienteering fields?

...or people that polish their bikes?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 22 August 2002, 8:24 AM  
second rate events are definitely far worse!!!! Ask anybody and they would much rather run in a field of 5 on a first rate terrain with first rate courses.

Don't worry Greg I wasn't serious about including the MTBO in the Super Series, I was just pulling Jamie's tit. He is so easy to wind up.

Bugger my bike has lost its shine!! I'm gonna have to polish it again.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 August 2002, 11:53 AM  
So we differ Darren.....! (shock horror)

you would have orienteering like womens weightlifting, giving yourself a good chance of getting a medal?...maybe I'll start calling you Ralph

I would have orienteering like the national cross country race, giving those who can run a sub 30 10k an outside chance at a top 15.

orienteering is more fun with more people round...no matter what the map. And bigger fields are self perpertuating, the more competition, the more enjoyment, the more competitors.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 22 August 2002, 12:58 PM  
And still no one has been able to answer my question - IS THE CANTERBURG CHAMPS GOING TO BE ON?

Darren maybe Jamies not the only one to wind up easily ;)

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 22 August 2002, 3:36 PM  
I don't want to take sides, but....

I would much prefer an event with a stack of competition than to run against a handful of competitors on stunning terrain. Both are fantastic, but I love competition and I'm not just out to beat myself.

Perhaps the O-League doesn't have to incorporate so many events. The nationals are at easter, perhaps another multiday could be run at the other equinox? Perhaps a two-day event on the weekend after labour weekend to make a five day series? If it is only elites that are interested, the event could still be run. In January there was an event run at near badge level for the National and Development squads and it was very successful. There is just more cost....

Can any New Zealand Orienteers do a sub 30 ten k Jamie? Can any do sub 35?

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz