maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

'A Brighter Future'

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 9 March 2012, 3:14 PM  
I like your thinking Michael, why don't we just hijack the AGM? Formalities take 10min, there is a venue and the majority of active orienteers are in the same city. It would be perfect setup for a workshop to share information and answer some of those very questions that you have posed.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 March 2012, 4:17 AM  
Perhaps not Easter where the focus is on competition. Specially for the topic of high performance! It might fit better into QB or Labour Weekend. Or a separate weekend, the Aussies have theirs in December.

Funding is a red herring. Missionaries who want to spread "the one true way" and those with a desire to learn will pay their own way. Enlightened clubs will reimburse them.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 19 March 2012, 3:37 PM  
Great thread so far.

I recently listened to SportNZ's CEO present his annual 'state of the nation' speech. For the second year in a row, he named-checked Orienteering as an area of surprising growth. I also heard another SportNZ rep at a conference say "there must be someone clever in their national body because they're really surging forward".

Rather than burst his bubble, I stayed quiet. I think the more likely explanation for the bulge in their data is more organic. Tireless volunteers like Geoff M whose years of work are beginning to pay dividends beyond Hawkes Bay. Clubs having grabbed the Kiwisport opportunity to get the sport into schools. I know NWOC and AOC both have contracts, and my guess is others do too. Getting O accredited with College Sport (in Akl anyway) and running an attractive and accessible series of events. Add these various grass-roots efforts together and we've got something going here.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 19 March 2012, 3:50 PM  
The opportunity is there for NZOF to speak with SportNZ. Now is a good time to start a dialogue, because they'll be wondering whats going on in our sport.

We don't have a shit show of getting on the targeted sport list, or getting a line in their HP budget... but I'm positive they can support us in other ways. For example, they have experience/expertise in governance that I believe could be extremely valuable to NZOF.

Harking back to Ross & Duncan's posts, the overarching theme across the years seems to be 'stasis'. It would be great if NZOF were able to lead us out of this towards the 'brighter future'.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 19 March 2012, 4:02 PM  
@ Ross - re holding trials later.
Agree. It makes sense to me. I also see that you may see larger fields
and a higher fitness/skill level, as elites build through Summer/Autumn events towards trials.

@Tom - re timing events around personal circumstances
Its a dilemma for a small sport; you want as many quality athletes as you can get. But sooner or later a code has to make the jump, to say, "we're big enough and serious enough to target international success, and we'll plan accordingly"

@Ross & Tom - re high performance vs community sport
Neither can be healthy without the other. At least, not here.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 19 March 2012, 4:02 PM  
@ Ross - re holding trials later.
Agree. It makes sense to me. I also see that you may see larger fields
and a higher fitness/skill level, as elites build through Summer/Autumn events towards trials.

@Tom - re timing events around personal circumstances
Its a dilemma for a small sport; you want as many quality athletes as you can get. But sooner or later a code has to make the jump, to say, "we're big enough and serious enough to target international success, and we'll plan accordingly"

@Ross & Tom - re high performance vs community sport
Neither can be healthy without the other. At least, not here.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz