maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Make history at Hobsonville on 19th June 2011

Show Profile  CraigP Posted: 11 June 2011, 10:46 AM  
I was just looking at an old club magazine article and I came across the following statement in an article written by the late Tony Nicholls:

"British athlete and Orienteering champion Gordon Pirie got a group interested and on 19th June 1969, N.Z.'s first official orienteering event was conducted at RNZAF Hobsonville: 1:15,000 map, bomb dump included!"

42 years on, and you can do it all again. The base is starting to disappear as it is developed for housing. The bomb dump is included in the Red courses.
So come and make your own history.

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 16 June 2011, 1:11 PM  
Craig, can you add your link to the pdf of that old magazine article? It was fascinating. Would be great to obtain a copy of that original map.Staff at Hobsonville were also very interested. Our contact there is a registered geocacher and has a cache on the map.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 17 June 2011, 12:33 AM  
I would like to get a copy of the document and the map for the national archives, thanks.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 17 June 2011, 5:11 PM  
Craig has been digitising the magazine archives. Currently they are available via a link on our auckoc.org.nz website in the Resources menu section Magazine archive link. Google has indexed many of them. A new listing format for them on the website is planned.

Above article is in:
http://cpearce.orconhosting.net.nz/Archive_AOC/COC_AugSep_83_OCR.pdf

Listing of current archive content:
http://www.cpearce.orconhosting.net.nz/COC_AOC_archive.html

Show Profile  CraigP Posted: 18 June 2011, 7:18 AM  
This is one of the older magazines, that I digitalised. I will be redoing it so that it is much better in quality.

I will soon also scan the really old ones from the 70's.

As to who may have a copy of the map, that may take more detective work.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 18 June 2011, 12:41 PM  
Great effort Craig.

Brings back plenty of memories, like the magazine and the efforts put into to it, the map corrections and marking your own maps, the fundraising for World Champs teams, the coaching, the setters or controllers comments, the number of people needed to check clip cards put up results send them out to each individual, the comments and stories from youngsters in the magazines, the different grades like M43, and overall even more keen volunteers than today, and the bigger numbers than today, but that is partly because of far more competing sports nowadays.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 June 2011, 1:27 PM  
While in retro mode, I still want to track down a course overprinter

Show Profile  CraigP Posted: 19 June 2011, 2:30 PM  
The rescanned version of the magazine is now on the website. I just noticed that the former document was incorrect with regard to the scale of the map used at Hobsonville. It in fact reads 1:25,000.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz