maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Queen's Birthday Weekend

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 6 June 2011, 12:12 PM  
3 day results up now, plus splits from today.

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 6 June 2011, 1:19 PM  
Slightly delayed post from Day 1, other days and events to follow in the coming days.
Huge thanks to the organisers, was an awesome weekend. Some of the closest elite racing for a while. Good battles with the Aussies too.

http://thomasreynolds.wordpress.com/2011/06/06/qb-3-day-day-1/

Show Profile  Hamish Posted: 6 June 2011, 11:00 PM  
Well done Auckland and Northwest. A big thank you to all the planners, controllers, co ordinaters and volunteers for a great weekend.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 8 June 2011, 12:10 PM  
While it's fresh in everyone's minds, what did people think of the map paper used on Day 1? It's the first time AOC has used Pretex for O events, although it is quite common in Europe and is also used in Australia I believe. Unlike the Teslin which we used at Nationals 2009 and TONIC last year, which is plastic, Pretex is paper which is impregnated to make it waterproof. Pretex is not as strong as Teslin, i.e. it can tear, but it is about 40% cheaper. The 120 gsm Pretex had a pretty stout workout in Saturday's weather, but while it did feel like it was only going to last a couple of controls, I didn't notice any torn maps or loss of the print in the maps I saw.
I realise there'll be a bunch of diehard supporters of plastic bags, but does anyone have any comments, positive or negative, about it?

Show Profile  Mike Adams Posted: 8 June 2011, 2:31 PM  
It made me feel very nervous. That was distracting. I guess once I was used to it I'd stop worrying about it ripping or the colour rubbing off. It's much better than the unfoldabe plastic maps.

Show Profile  Tobes Posted: 8 June 2011, 4:04 PM  
Didn't want a repeat of the rogaine huh mike? Once the map got wet it felt furry, which felt like it was going to fall to bits but surprisingly didn't. Once you got used to that feeling it was quite good

Show Profile  Kenny Posted: 9 June 2011, 12:14 AM  
PRETEX EXPERIENCE
To qualm any remaining fears re Pretex, take a look at our Australian rigorous and highly scientific testing program as developed by Jim Russell and myself - http://digbig.com/5becqe bottom right link

Jeff, what digital print make/model was used? Would like to add to our stable of Pretex friendly machines if not on current list at http://digbig.com/5becqd

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 9 June 2011, 1:36 AM  
One of the maps did fall apart, and I wouldn't want to use it in steep slippery terrain where you tend to fall harder and more often, but agree it held up much better than it was feeling at the start.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 June 2011, 4:10 AM  
Yeah it was pretty cool. But yeah as Garden says it would be interesting to see how it would handle a race like the Nationals classic this year

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 9 June 2011, 4:35 AM  
Similar to the other observations, I also felt that it felt like it would fall apart, it didn't but I noticed some of the print was wearing off in places were the map had been folded and re-folded.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 9 June 2011, 5:04 AM  
I must be a diehard plastic bag user... though having no real problem issues on the day looking at my map now there are areas where the print is rubbing off, not a lot though (could this be the printer type?) but importantly could it stain if drowned in blood or mud. I didn't feel like testing that right now.
At least its easily foldable unlike Teslin.
Some ordinary papers i don't really like are when they are too glossy, the surface tends to crack, plus it can be very reflective in some light. Has anyone got some favourite types of ordinary paper for use with bags?

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 9 June 2011, 5:31 AM  
In the unclaimed wet maps from Day 1 some of the biro on the back of the maps transferred across to the printed side of the adjacent map. This is probably an issue with any sort of unbagged map.

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 9 June 2011, 5:59 AM  
The maps were printed on an OKI colour laser machine (Selwyn will know the model no.). The printer did generate a fatal error during the print run, but I don't think it was related to the paper type. I retreated out of earshot at that point and worked on control descriptions...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 9 June 2011, 6:26 AM  
I would imagine a commercial digital printer to have better sticking qualities, which would help eliminate that print loss then, so that seems good.
Thanks Kenny for pointing us to your in depth analysis of waterproof papers... it sounds like Jim had indeed put the paper through the ringer! Knowing the paper can have multiple uses such as be used as a dishcloth is a major plus.
Looks like the mud and blood isn't an issue with Pretex as is with some of the others. No paper blocking/sticking is another big plus.
So I admit I am slightly less addicted to plastic bags.
My maps from the Bushrangers 09 event (all printed on Pretex) look fine, if only they could get the paper brighter white in colour.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 June 2011, 7:14 AM  
Maybe I'm particularly hard on maps, but over the years I've managed to sometimes do a fair bit of damage to standard paper maps "safely" enclosed in plastic bags, including losing the print on folds/creases etc. It's inevitable that with a new product we will be looking for ANY evidence of the map not surviving the orienteering treatment, but the question should be is there MORE evidence than with the previous practice? My gut feeling is one map known to fall apart on a wet weekend with over 1000 starts probably compares well to "normal paper with map-bags", as is some print lifting on creases.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz