maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Map making advice needed

Show Profile  Beddhist Posted: 8 May 2011, 2:20 AM  
Hi,

I have read with great interest stories in this forum about printing maps on "plastic paper". I want to print some low-volume road maps for travellers in countries where maps are hard or impossible to find.

It seems that this kind of 'paper' is rather hard to get in NZ. Also, for road maps A3 is way too small. I need at least A2 or SRA2, but that means there are no laser printers that can handle this size. Which means it would have to be printed on either ink jet or offset.

Am I barking up the wrong tree? Should I just have it printed on paper and laminated? (It still needs to be foldable and waterproof.)

I will be very grateful for any advice you can give me here.

Kind regards,
Peter.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 9 May 2011, 6:21 PM  
You could use Polyart or Teslin. To print on A2 you will almost certainly have to off set print the maps. Low volume printing is relatively expensive. If you laminate the map (even on one side) you will not be able to fold the maps. If you do fold them the crease will cause problems.

You don't mention what size is "low volume". Off set printing works best for over 250 or even 500 sheets.

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 24 May 2011, 12:53 PM  
BJ Ball are the importers of Teslin paper. Check their web site, but you need to buy $250 munimjm order. It comes in a range of thicknesses and sheets are 635mm x 965mm - can be cut to size. Some bigger off-set orinters might keep their own stock.
115gsm has been the right thicknes for oriuenteering maps, the next thicker paper can be difficult to fold several times. 115gsm is plenty strong enough. Tycec poroduce a waterproof paper - we haven;t used because it will melt in a laser printer. Teslin is strong and tear-proof. Tyvec probably stroinger. Pretex is a cheaper German made waterproof paper which AOC will be using for QB Day 1, but does tear if you try, so is more suited to single ar limited use applications.

Show Profile  Kenny Posted: 9 June 2011, 1:30 AM  
Peter, I suggest using Pretex. For those size maps, there will be considerable folding and Pretex is far superior in that department. It is commonly used in Europe for large recreational maps (you can ask for samples from manufacturer Neenah-Lahnstein). You can buy Pretex in NZ (ask JeffG).

Based on experience in 2009/10 with Pretex in orienteering and rogaining, I am using Pretex for a series of recreational trail maps that we are releasing in spring.

Our experience - http://digbig.com/5becqg
Manufacturer - http://p133574.webspaceconfig.de/en/products/pretex/

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz