maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

WSSC Primiero, Italy

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 22 May 2011, 12:04 AM  
We have discovered a free internet cafe for competitors and support crew. This means you might hear more from your child...or maybe not !

If you get the chance to google the area of Fiera de Primiero, do it. I has to be one of the most spectacular places I have ever seen. You can be having a conversation with someone and they just stop talking - they are staring at the moiuntains. You cannot escape them.

the village is amazing - very quaint and very reasonably priced, very similar to NZ prices.

As part of their training run today, they headed up into the hills above and the views were even more spectacular than down in the village.

We will start posting some photos shortly for you to see.

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 22 May 2011, 5:10 AM  
A few of the boys in the hotel restaurant with Hugh

http://www.italiaor2011.com/it/content/la-delegazione-italiana

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 22 May 2011, 8:36 AM  
Just a quick question, did you guys speak to anyone who went to JWOC in 2009 before you headed over? Would have been a good place to get some advice.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 22 May 2011, 8:44 AM  
Another topic, what's the difference between the different classes; M1S, M1F, M2S, M2F?

Show Profile  PhillipH Posted: 22 May 2011, 9:51 AM  
M Male
W Female
1 Senior
2 Junior
S Selected National Team
F School Team

5 members run for the team. Best 3 times get included in the scoring.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 22 May 2011, 2:29 PM  
We have just returning from the training event up at Val Canali - what a great map it is. The practice area is right beside the two events, so it was a good chance to see how the mapper mapped it.

We have some chill down time after lunch, some coaches meetings and then onto the opening ceremony.

Those of us who went to Spain 2 years ago have been catching up with people we remembered form that event - competitors and coaches alike.

Zane's folks arrived up at the practice event - it was so good to see them. We have them in a village over the hill, Brenda massie in a hotel across the river, the Scotts just around the corner - the Kiwis are taking over !

Next update tonight... ciao.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 22 May 2011, 2:30 PM  
Thanks Thomas, yes we did have quite a few chats with the JWOC people, got access to their maps and knowledge. It was great. I think we are even staying in the same hotel as the JWOC team, according to one of the local officials.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 24 May 2011, 12:21 AM  
Im currently sitting in the piazza outside the municipal building in Fiero di Primiero. The kids are on the stand looking at footage from todays event on a giant screen. Its 5 to 6 in the evening, 25 degrees and there is a live band playing on the stage.

What a great way to top off a great day.

Today is Monday. I know that you know that, but we are losing track of the days. They had arranged excellent transport up into the mountain start area. 15 mins by bus, then a half hour walk. As well as this there was a 5 control warm up map in the middle of the walk to the start. The kids were loaded into the buses based on their start number, starting at 8:15. We had adults at the hostel, bus loading, bus drop off, the start, the finish as well as the finish.

It has been great to have the numbers of supporters that we have. We certainly make a big group at the finish by the time the helpers from the various checkpoints arrive to support ! Being quite a rowdy bunch  we are certainly making a favourable impact with the locals.

The Long Distance event was a real tester for us  here are the results

Junior Boys Junior Girls

Callum 2nd Brianna 2nd
Devon 6th Katherine 11th
Isaac 16th Vida 15th
Ieuan 17th Monieka 37th
Duncan 21st Alice 50th

Senior Boys Senior Girls

Sam 20th Holly 19th
Pearson 22nd Georgia 31st
Nat 33rd Laura 44th
Liam 34th Naomi 48th
Zane 35th Amber 51st

In the teams event we are currently placed:

Senior Boys 7th (7/15) Junior Boys 2nd (2/14)

Senior Girls 8th (8/17) Junior Girls 1st (1/14)

There are some outstanding results for both individuals and teams in these results and the team is working hard to improve on these results on Wednesday.
It was fantastic to see the comments form Cameron Massie and Sarah Anderson  the kids got a real buzz over that.
There is a cell phone ban at the event so we cant ring or text straight after the event  we are embargoed until the last starter has returned. This means we cant contact you straight away, nor can you call us. The team will be disqualified if they are seen talking or texting on their phone during the event. One country even tried to use walkie talkies to get around it  we are sure they have a disqualification coming up for the whole team.

Thanks for all the support back home  it is MUCH appreciated !

Ciao.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 24 May 2011, 12:54 AM  
Timothy.....can you please get 'the coach' to check his e-mails as I need an answer? Thanks. xx

Show Profile  DMjunior Posted: 24 May 2011, 2:36 AM  
Im pretty sure he didn't take his laptop Valerie.

Also awesome effort you guys, the event sounds awesome. Callum and Brianna can win the next one!

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 24 May 2011, 4:16 AM  
Yes...oh university student.....but he has access to Tim's....drrrr

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 25 May 2011, 12:25 AM  
Tuesday today - our Cultural Event Day - and what a day !

We were taken to the top of one of the peaks above San Martino di Catrozza. We left the hotel about 8:15 and got on our bus with the Israeli team - must tell you about that to - later though.

The bus trip was about 30mins up the windiest road i have ever seen - switchbacks all over the place. On the way back my bus had to stop several times to try to take the corner again !

We were taken to a Gondola kiosk in the skiing village of San Martino. A large gondola ride took us to a restaurant, and from here a huge cable car took us up to just under 2700m. Out onto the snow field by the stop point and then we climbed the rest of the way to the summit at 2746m above sea level. Just Stunning !

I have linked to some photos and will try to get more up for you.

We had a great lunch at the restaurant and then we went onto Panneveggio where we walked around part of the national park - full of larch and pine and deer and woodpeckers and rivers.... I little like going into a NZ forest but even grander.

I'll fill in some more detail when I get back to the hotel, I have just downloaded a video sequence to show at our performance tomorrow evening.

Tomorrow is our second big race - the Middle distance. we have lots of people watching us closely after the first race results, so we will see tomorrow.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 25 May 2011, 12:25 AM  
Will do Val, no worries at all

Show Profile  raewyn Posted: 25 May 2011, 2:32 AM  
Really enjoying following your updates

Good luck to all the team members for todays run Have a blast (but remember to use your compass)Go the Kiwis

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 25 May 2011, 5:19 AM  
the Northern Hemisphere Ones ;-)

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz