maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6  

WSSC Primiero, Italy

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 12 May 2011, 8:08 AM  
Saying something is 'PAINFUL' is criticising in my mind.

I think I have to side with Valerie on this one. As a public forum it should be open to everyone and everything - even people criticising what's posted and people criticising the critercisers
and then a flame war erupts. To my mind a healthy, robust discusssion(as long as someone is not being personal) is good for the sport.

The posts by Tim are perfectly ok - we don't have to read something if we don't want to - just like the TV we can turn it off. I'm certain I've contributed what some people think is drivel at times to this forum.

The posts by Tim may have been better in a blog but it's a little bit easier to post to this free public forum than it is to set up a blog.

This message was edited by Bryan on 12 May 2011, 3:18 PM

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 12 May 2011, 9:53 AM  
I thought it was spam for a while...
is it OWSC or even WSOC and not WSSOC ???
Some links:
http://www.italiaor2011.com/en/content/event
http://banchoryschoolsorienteering.moonfruit.com/#/wsoc-2011/4543643747
Forgive me for my ignorance but so whos in the team and can they do as well as last year? I suspect the terrain could be fairly difficult, have they had good opportunties for some technical and hill and speed training?
It must be a big deal and very exciting for these kids if its there first time overseas.

Show Profile  Graham Posted: 12 May 2011, 1:52 PM  
Valerie, your comments seem quite amusing to me. I don't believe Rob was in anyway stating that Tim wasn't doing good work. He was just stating that perhaps Maptalk isn't the place for such information. Maptalk is designed as a forum, therefore promoting discussion and i dont believe the posts by Tim were quite the discussion that Maptalk is aimed at.
Also your comments about the progress of orienteering in New Zealand are also quite interesting. You slag off people like Rob who has done a heap of work for orienteering in Auckland, most recently organizing a fundraising rogaine series for juniors in his club. I think a selfless effort should count toward the promotion of the sport in New Zealand.
Lastly though i would like to say that its sad what has happened here on this forum because now i think the chances of us hearing about how the team does are quite slim because of some un-needed personal attacks. And really i don't think comments on Maptalk are going to effect progress of orienteering in New Zealand, all they seem to do is lead to personal attacks from people who dont know the entire story.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 12 May 2011, 3:08 PM  
Michael,

The mapping topic is way over my head, but this is an excellent and the obvious place to discuss the numerous issues.

I organise a trip to Aussie each year for MTBO, and I'm sure most of you would be bored shitless if I had a heap of posts regarding the housekeeping. Results are a different story, as are personal experiences, or people talking up the trips.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 May 2011, 12:38 PM  
Good on you Tim, and good luck to all the team. What an awesome opportunity! It just keeps getting better for secondary school orienteering at the moment.

Great to see new people using Maptalk for what is useful to them.

Show Profile  greg.ed Posted: 14 May 2011, 11:31 PM  
Keep up the great work Tim...great to see so much debate started, this is what the sport needs ....some fire, good stuff.......hope the traveling went to plan and the team are all starting to settle down after the long trip.
We look forward to hearing all the details re what the kids are getting up to and how the preparation for the event is going.
The weather in France at the moment is extremely hot and dry with the Dordogne looking magnificent.
See you all in a weeks time.......good luck guys and enjoy the trip.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 15 May 2011, 4:41 AM  
hurrah - we have all arrived safely in LA and are waiting in Transit. Everyone is fine - a few tired people and a few numb bums ! I'll try to get others to send something as well.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 16 May 2011, 12:26 AM  
Hey guys, we are all here safe and well in Fallendan, Zurich. The hostel is quaint and a great size for us. Some of us have no luggage - it's coming tonight from London. No Panic - we have got it all under control. Keep an eye out for more updates.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 16 May 2011, 2:22 AM  
The kids are all in bed - it's just after 10 at night here in Zurich. We have our day planned for tomorrow - it'll be great.

Those without their bags - we have tracked them down to London and they should almost be in the same country as us by now. 6 of us were affected, and about 24 others. They should be arriving here tomorrow morning. I have contacted the travel insurance agent already so he is aware of the situation. We can claim already is needed.

Brenda Massie joined us tonight - had a couple of days here in Zurich before we arrived. kar3en beckman left us in London as planned, she will join us in a couple of days.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 16 May 2011, 2:24 AM  
Thanks for the update Greg & Helen - we have got 10 degrees as we arrived in Zurich - but nice and fine.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 16 May 2011, 9:26 AM  
The Team Names were requested - I am sorry they didn't get up here earlier....

Napier Girls' High School Juniors:
Vida Fox Brianna Massie Alice Lumsden
Katherine Rybinski Monieka Scott

Napier Girls' High Seniors
Naomi Anderson

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 16 May 2011, 9:34 AM  
The Team Names were requested - I am sorry they didn't get up here earlier. Here they are in alphabetical order...

Napier Girls' High School Juniors:
Vida Fox Brianna Massie Alice Lumsden
Katherine Rybinski Monieka Scott

Napier Girls' High Seniors
Naomi Anderson Holly Edmonds Amber Helliwell
Laura Kaan Georgia Lindsay

Napier Boys' High Juniors
Devon Beckman Ieuan Edmonds Callum Herries
Duncan Spall Isaac Sweetapple

Napier Boys' High Seniors
Nathaniel Hinton Sam Clarke-Winiata Zane Tomalin
Liam Ward Pearson Williams

Our travelling party has 31 in it, and we are being joined by more at the event in Primiero.

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 16 May 2011, 10:25 PM  
We have just got back to the hostel. It's 6pm here now, so just after 4am back at home. We had a relaxed start to the day - most kids were up between 6 and 7:30 am. Many woke in the night, but were able to roll over and go back to sleep.

After a lovely breakfast overlooking the lake, we went for a training run at 10:30 am. Derek had them working as relay teams on the track alongside the lake Greifensee. Then time for a swim - YES ! SWIMMING IN THE LAKE ! Lunch was next and then we headed into Zurich.

To get into Zurich we grab a bus just outside the hostel, travel 5 km and then catch an underground train (double decker) and travel for 10 mins into a station right by the river, but not the main station. This got us close to the old part of the city, quite close to Grossmunster.

The kids had 3 hours walking around the city centre in groups and we regrouped before heading back to the hostel.

Shopping was on the agenda for many, but thankfully many took heed of the advice and worked out that stuff is VERY EXPENSIVE. A big mac meal was worth about $17 NZ.

Many of the shops, cafes etc... are in very old buildings, the earliest I saw of the 50 or so that were identified by age was 1223 AD. This was houses and the like. There were many older buildings - like churches and the like.

We caught the train and bus back to the hostel at Fallanden and then we chilled out. Kids have been swimming, playing games, having showers. the sun is shining brightly still and we have tea under way.

We had 6 people without their luggage overnight. This morning 4 bags were delivered to us and so this afternoon the remaining two purchased some replacement clothes and shoes. Hopefully we will see their gear tomorrow. Our travel insurance will cover these expenses, as long as it is 'reasonable priced clothing'. The kids have been fantastic with coping with this.

Andy & Katja Leonhardt have been fantastic. they met us at the airport with their family, complete with HB orienteering tops. They had train tickets already purchased and just guided us through to the hostel. They explained everything and that let us explore the city so easily today. They had also got our first meal arranged so we could get straight into cooking.

Andy popped back this morning so we could plan the details of the week and he brought train tickets for the rest of the week. It is very complicated getting the right fare structure etc... so they have simplified this for us. So far, so good.

Well, time to go help with tea. More soon. things are going really well here and the kids are having a great time.

Show Profile  Alison Posted: 17 May 2011, 7:37 AM  
Thanks for your notes Tim. Hi to Pearson and thank him for the texts...

Show Profile  tim.a Posted: 17 May 2011, 8:10 AM  
Yabba Cards

We are having a bit of trouble with the Yabba cards folks, we are trying to do something about that today. The old phone at the hostel won't connect without any money, but requires a whole lot of money before it'll allow dailing to the yabba number.

Anyone got any ideas about getting around this ?

1   2   3   4   5   6  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz