maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Silly Tourist Q6 - Tongariro/Taranaki

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 11 April 2011, 7:07 AM  
Ok - I've done no research and time is up so laugh if you wish or help if you can.

Many years ago we did the Tongariro crossing. Well we did and we didn't as we started (later than we hoped due to wrong advice from camp ground owner) but got sidetracked and ended up climbing Ngarahoe (spelling?). Now this was challenging, due to sliding back ever step, and it cost us the time to do the complete crossing but I've never regretted it as was one of the best things I've ever done and its great to see that iconic volcano shape and know you've been up there, but we have never been back to do the crossing in its entirety.

My question is how extreme will it be at this time of year. Is there any snow/ice covering tracks or is it still quite OK for non-hard-nosed (well wimpy) trampers to cross without specialized gear (remember we will be traveling lightly) We'd like to do it but have sub gortex gear etc. Should we be alright if we are sensible or should we just forget it?

What about Taranaki summit climb - is it generally better or worse for conditions. Looks really steep. Should we consider this at all? Had a quick look at the fact sheet and it looks challenging at a 10 hour round trip.

...and I keep thinking about that pacific plate and the fact it's a little shaky in the last 12 months. I have visions of Ngarahoe & Rhuapahu (spelling?) erupting as we do the crossing. But then again you guys worry about or snakes.

Show Profile  X Posted: 11 April 2011, 7:28 AM  
need a local to help with indepth weather and ice stuff... and quick. There are quite a few lower altitude tracks worth doing from Whakapapa and above Ohakune. Weather could be anything from sweet to shite

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 11 April 2011, 11:29 AM  
Tonight, there was no snow on the northern flanks of Ngaruhoe so it is likely that the Crossing is still clear. As long as you have sensible footwear on, energy food and storm clothing with you and are fit, you should be OK if the weather is still good when you get to the saddle. The rescue helicopter gets lots of practice with ill-prepared travellers on the track. Latest was an Aussie who tried to headbutt a bouncing rock on Ngaruhoe. I can lend you ice axes if you want to cover that contingency.

If you want to dwell on your paranoia about earthquakes and volcanoes, Geonet has uprated the warning of Ruapehu so the summit lake might burp while you are here. Over the past two months, there have been lots of sub 4 earthquakes under the mountain. Nothing further north though.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 April 2011, 11:41 AM  
Don't listen to him - the biggest hazard you face will be on the roads - white campervans.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 11 April 2011, 4:06 PM  
There was at least some snow on the Tongariro summit area on Saturday. I'd say plan around doing it but watch the weather forecast (including the mountain forecast) over the few days beforehand and if in doubt play it safe and find a hot pool to sit in instead.

As for Taranaki, it is one of those dangerous mountains that is significantly easier to get to than it is to climb, and perfectly situated for sudden weather changes. One for the people who know exactly what they're doing IMO.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 11 April 2011, 5:59 PM  
Might be best to skip Taranaki (this time at least) especially as it looks like it may be a bit away from our main path this time around.

We will look at "the crossing" and if we feel the weather isn't playing along we might just play around the edges and bottom a bit.

Once again many thanks.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 April 2011, 11:36 AM  
Nice to see you at the weekend LB and MG. You heading for Taupo now, take care with that campervan in those high winds. Mighta been better to head to Wellington..

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz