maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Silly Tourist Q3 - Camps shops

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 9 April 2011, 7:45 AM  
I was wondering if camping/adventure type shops in Auckland were grouped close together?

I know that was partly the case in Christchurch (looked to be a badly hit region of the CBD if my memory is correct) and as it is in Sydney.

If so where is the area? Might see if our strongish $AUS might secure a couple of good deals for us.

Show Profile  comatose Posted: 9 April 2011, 12:46 PM  
There's a cluster in Newmarket: Kathmandu, Living Simply and Mountain Designs are all located at 255 Broadway, above Dymocks book shop; south along Broadway a bit on the opposite side is Bivouac (opposite 277 shopping centre); and there is also a Macpac shop on Morrow St that runs alongside 277 between Broadway and Gillies Ave. Happy shopping!

Show Profile  X Posted: 9 April 2011, 5:45 PM  
Also a couple of easy to get to spots north of the bridge... Barry's Point Road just off the Esmond Road Motorway exit into Takapuna has Kathmandu on one side of the street and Outdoor Action on the other. There are also several bike shops. From there you could drop by the Takapuna beach and stroll northwards around the volcanic rocks and past the fancy homes. A nice place for a jog to Milford beach and back especially if you've been over indulging in fine kiwi food.
The other cluster of sporting equipment shops is beside the Albany Mall, a bit little further north on the mway. Albany is easily recognised by one of the Stadia chosen to host the Rugby WC in sept. Get off at either Greville Rd or Oteha Valley Rd.
Across the road from the mall you can find Pack & Pedal, Kathmandu, Rebel Sports and Bivouac Outdoor, with several sporting shoe retail shops in the mall, not that these would offer any bargains. Albany is certainly not on the tourist trail so if you're looking to avoid tourists there are some nice walking/running areas from the park behind Albany Village. Mind you the best one can take some local knowledge to find.

Keep in mind virtually every town has outdoor shops so you shouldn't have a problem finding one along your travels.
Your dollar may be strong but that doesn't stop the airline from charging for excess luggage

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 10 April 2011, 7:44 PM  
Thanks again

X - we will try and pack lightly (no camping gear required as hiring a campervan).

BTW we might not be able to use our strongish $AUS - tried to use two different branded cards yesterday at hole in the wall outlets here and both said we had wrong PIN number. Thats really weird. We are using correct numbers and one was from my wallet and the other Mapgirl's purse so cant see magnetism getting both. Just typical of technology - great until you really need it!!!! we have another card (a third financial institution) that might suffice as otherwise we are stuffed!!! Luckily we keep our money spread out although that thins it a little.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz