maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Silly Oz tourist question 1

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 4 April 2011, 1:31 PM  
Ok a lot of you here will probably know there's a few of us that live on that big island to your west that are heading over for the NZ champs but perhaps you mightn't have realised how ignorant of some aspects of Kiwi society we actually are, so I was looking for a bit of a heads-up.

Sure this will be our 4th trip over there but it takes a while for us Aussies to absorb all things kiwi especially considering the language difficulties we face.

Anyway here is the first of what might be silly tourist questions and they relates to Mobile phones (do you call them that or cell phones like the yanks?)

I'm not really a fan of this overused piece of technology - sure they have some legit uses but most of the time they are not as essential as the advertisers and your mates tell you they are and they definately wont pull you any birds but we are going to be travelling part of the time with friends and need to be able to contact them occasionally so I guess they are the obvious choice in this instance.

Do our phones accept and work with your SIM cards? (I have been told they do)

What would be the best brand SIM to buy (2degrees seem cheap enough) - I'm looking for a prepaid where brand to brand text is really cheap.

Is there adequate coverage across all of the North Island or might we be out of range if we camp in some out-of-the way DOC campsite? Are they likely to work at the event sites for example? (Hey I'm not having a go at you because even here we have crap coverage - especially down in Tassie)
I find the strange thing about mobiles is that in places you are least likely to need the thing there is terrific coverage but where you might be in a remote spot and in dire straights the bloody things are useless.

Is there more than one network or is it the same network with different resellers? BTW I don't think my phone is 3G, rather a basic style.

If more than one network which would offer the most widespread coverage for travelling around North Island?

Thanks for any assistance you can offer.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 5 April 2011, 3:34 AM  
BTW - Just remembered my current handset is LOCKED to Virgin so may borrow a friends older one.

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 April 2011, 3:40 AM  
there are 3 networks in NZ. All have similar coverage, but its generally the towns and main highways. So anywhere else is unlikey to get coverage.

http://www.telecom.co.nz/mobile/ournetwork/coverage
http://www.vodafone.co.nz/coverage/
2Degrees has its own network in places but extended covereage using Vodaphone

no idea which would offer best deal on prepaid sims. And yes they should work in your phone here

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 April 2011, 4:15 AM  
You might want to check first if your company (Virgin?) can hook into either of the NZ networks. Eg my (vodafone) phone works fine in Oz, without having to put in a local SIM card or anything like that. Charges can be a bit funny but if you're not expecting to use it much, that wouldn't be much of a problem.

Oh and mobile and cell phone are both understandable here ;-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 April 2011, 5:50 AM  
You should take the chance to upgrade to a 3GL phone Leep. The ones with the "like" button, saves 10 key pushes a time.

Show Profile  DennisdM Posted: 5 April 2011, 9:01 AM  
If you're not gonna use your Aust sim, which would probably cost you 80c per text, then I'd go for 2degrees. Similar coverage to Vodafone, and cheaper between network texts as well as cheaper international texts. The other bonus is they only charge you $2 for a sim card unlike the $20 that is/was charged by other networks! And cheaper if you have to make calls. A winner all round. Just recently changed my wife from Vodafone to 2degrees for the cheaper prepay plan.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 5 April 2011, 9:37 AM  
Thanks all,

Sounds pretty much like here re coverage.
Now just need to get an unlocked handset.

@Michael - I only use a mobile when I absolutely have to so don't need bells and whistles. I'll be more enthused when they contain - a phone, a TV/DVD remote, a garage door opener; gps; car remote; a stills/video camera; credit card system; electronic book; mp3 player and penis enlarger all enclosed in a single shockproof and waterproof device. Obvioulsy some devices are getting close to being a one size fits all with the ever increasing apps but not quite there yet.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 5 April 2011, 11:11 PM  
BTW just saw some woman researcher (pushing her book) that claims those microwaves next to your brain (or other parts of your body) are very nasty. Reckons there will be lots of brain tumors in a couple of decades. I know we've heard it before but it did sound genuine and informed comment. Makes me feel better that I am only a very casual user.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 6 April 2011, 3:44 AM  
I always laugh when I see someone so concerned about microwaves causing genetic damage and therefore tumours in their brains that they walk about with headsets so rather than carrying their mobile next to their head they can clip it to their belts. No inherent risks associated with genetic damage in THAT region of the body, right?

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 6 April 2011, 5:34 AM  
Actually she mentioned experiments over here using sperm subjected to mobile phone transmissions and the DNA or chromosomes (can't remember which) were being badly damaged.

BTW - she still uses one but a lot less than she used to.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 April 2011, 5:36 AM  
You can laugh oneman cos you work out in the bush, but it is evident that a lot of males in the city are taking precautions to protect the family silver from stray radiation. You see them everywhere, a credit-card sized piece of plastic strategically hung on a zinger from the belt.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz