maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Laser Printing on Teslin paper

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 16 March 2011, 9:28 AM  
We attempted to print maps for Katoa Po on Teslin SP700 (115gsm) using a Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint C525A laser copier.
The paper will print the maps OK but when it exits the copier, the paper sometimes sticks and becomes a concertinaed mess. Maps will usually print and exit the copier successfully about 2 out 3 times. We cannot print multiple copies at the same time without getting paper jams. Occasionally the paper sticks (fuses) with the exit roller.
Our maps have a lot of grassland rather than forest so the colours are solid.
As others have used this paper successfully, did they also encounter this problem and how did they get around it?
Or is it just a matter of trial and error with a variety of printers?
The Teslin manufacturers recommend laser printing on the thicker SP1000 - has anyone used that?
We need to sort out the problems fairly quickly as we have to print 500+ maps in a month's time.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 17 March 2011, 8:02 AM  
I have never used Teslin, I use Pretex in my Xerox 7750, but I do know that most other States use Teslin. It was used for last weekends NOL races in Canberra, but I dont know the process they used. Hopefully someone from up there may read this

Show Profile  Taupoite Posted: 17 March 2011, 9:24 AM  
Teslin SP700 was the paper used for last year's QB and Nationals. It stood up to the punishment there well. It also did a good job at this year's Katoa Po, even for those who took the water crossings too literally.
The literature seems to indicate some printers are a lot better than others. Seems to be a drum diameter and fusion temperature thing. That may just be a matter of finding the right machine but it would be nice to have an idea of what to try (or avoid) before wasting lots of sheets trying mass prints or a panic at the last minute because nothing works.

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 17 March 2011, 11:30 AM  
Technical info on Teslin
<http://www.ppg.com/specialty/technicalinfo/Pages/laserPrinters.aspx>

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 17 March 2011, 11:40 AM  
Technical info on Teslin (the above link had a word missing) what has happened to the edit function?
<http://www.ppg.com/specialty/teslin/technicalinfo/Pages/laserPrinters.aspx>

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 March 2011, 12:45 PM  
got to log in to see it Svend, it means we get less bots trying to hack us

Show Profile  Greg Hawthorne Posted: 17 March 2011, 4:14 PM  
We used 115 gsm at the 2009 Australian 3 day (Fuji Xerox C4350), but printing was time consuming due to a lot of misfeeds, although no disasters. It was fine in competition. The maps I saw from the recent Canberra NOL races looked like 150 gsm. A print shop might be able to advise you on machines that run cooler than office machines, so 115 gsm could be viable on higher-end machines.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 March 2011, 2:06 AM  
We've had to flick through each individual page of a ream before putting it into our Oki 710. This significantly reduced the number of pages that came out stuck together.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 18 March 2011, 2:30 AM  
The Teslin pages didn't stick together on printing, although during the event (dew at night) one competitor picked up (and ran the whole course) with 3 maps.

The maps all printed ok, but with the Fuji-Xerox DocuPrint C525A laser copier, the paper has to do a 90 degree turn before exiting the printer. The paper jamb occurs at that point (about 1 out of 3 times). I had to resort to printing single maps - very time consuming.

A successful exited map from the printer stands up well in competion - mud, blood and a soaking didn't have any real affect on them. There was no real discernable white line from loss of ink where the maps were folded during competition.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz