Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Import GPS

Show Profile  Nick Collins Posted: 15 February 2011, 8:35 AM  
Can someone tell me how to get a GPS track into OCAD 9.0.1

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 15 February 2011, 10:39 AM  
the most concise instructions may be the ocad how-to on their website

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 February 2011, 5:19 AM  
Does that answer your question Nick? If you are having difficulty finding the GPS import dialogue, I suspect that the GPS menu may not have included that until 9.x.x. If so you will need to update your OCAD.

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 27 February 2011, 2:54 PM  
On the Garmin model I was using I had to use a serial port (and respective cable) to load GPS data straight from the handset to OCAD.

The other way (with OCAD 9.4.3 anyway) is to save the GPS track on the handset (it should go to the removable memory card in the handset assuming you have such a card). Then connect the GPS to the computer using a USB port and its basically just a data storage like a flash drive. On OCAD go GPS > Import from GPS > Load gpx file > Create. Close the GPS window and you will have a line!

Don't know how to get waypoints this way though

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 28 February 2011, 4:12 AM  
Sounds like you've gone from a very old Garmin to a very new one Gene. In between (or perhaps just how the 60 series works) the GPS does not appear to your computer as a USB device. It's necessary to use Garmin's Mapsource (or perhaps other) software to upload the data, and change it from the proprietory gdb to the general gpx format, as this is what OCAD can read.

The MAPsource upload takes everything in the GPS whether saved to the card or not, and I would think that with your method all waypoints in the GPS should be included.

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 10 March 2011, 8:33 AM  
The Garmin I use says PGSmap 60CXs so I assume that is the model. It does the USB thing fine without using any software at all.

I will try using mapsource to get the way points.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 March 2011, 3:54 PM  
Sounds like the model I've got, but it doesn't appear to my computer as a USB device.

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 13 March 2011, 11:14 AM  
Make sure the GPS is set to USB storage before/when it is plugged in.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 March 2011, 5:01 PM  
Ahhhhhh, thank you Gene! Have you found a way to get the waypoints thru this method?

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 14 March 2011, 12:38 PM  
=)
No waypoints yet. the missing link is being able to save waypoint onto the memory card using the handset. it is obvious how to save gps tracks but I havent found the same function for the waypoints.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz