maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

LINZ data

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 10 December 2010, 2:11 AM  
As part of my work as a geospatial consultant, I have the opportunity to discuss with LINZ the provision of their data to the user community.

Their brief:
'Our technical team is wanting input from the industry to discuss options for providing simplified GIS product layers to meet the needs of the general GIS user community. We are particularly interested in getting feedback on how simple or how complex these need to be, and there will be an opportunity to preview the planned cadastral layers, and review them'.

The meeting I will attend will be on 16th Dec and will deal specifically with cadastral data only. Topo and contour data may also be discussed but probably at a later meeting.

Do any of you have any comments and/or wish list I can provide to LINZ as feedback?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 10 December 2010, 8:35 AM  
Occasionally I want to know property boundaries and owners to request permission, and I ask a mate who seems to have access to this. It would be somewhat helpful to be able to access this myself, but I don't know whether this is just lack of knowledge on my part or lack of "simplified GIS layers" on LINZ's part. This need ranks about 1 out of 10 though.

The advent of the Walking Access Commission's WAMS system for public land meets a related need, that of figuring out what might be public or not. Pretty incomplete around here so far but I guess its still in test. Meets a 2 out of 10 need.

Topo and contour data is the real need. Road (and track) centreline data and contours (10 out of 10). But we orienteers may want a different degree of generalisation from the raw data from other users? For years we have had Stewart Hyslop do this for us, now its a new ball game!

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 10 December 2010, 12:22 PM  
regional councils should be or already are providing onlineGIS services over the next two years which should have property boundaries... you will never get public access to property info like owners/occupiers names (privacy act). but as you say, knowing someone at the district/regional council is enough to get this data. of course you can always drop a letter in the box or knock on the door heaven forbid!!

topodata is available at koordinates.com

http://koordinates.com/#/search/?q=contours

a lot of the major cities have had lidar flown so they have contours to 1-5m's while the national dataset goes to 20m... dont think i've seen a topo with 10m contours? luckily for wellington the high res data appears to be free of charge at the moment!!

http://koordinates.com/#/search/?q=tracks

track data is free as well as roads

http://koordinates.com/#/search/?q=roads

hope this helps.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 11 December 2010, 6:18 AM  
Koordinates looks kool. Do I understand that they are being paid by LINZ to provide a "clearing house" for geospatial data? How does that relate to the LINZ exercise you are talking about Bryan?

Quite a bit of data on Koordinates has a price. I would hope that local authorities would follow Auckland's lead and make it free. But I would guess that we're still going to need "buddy-buddy" arrangements for quite a while. Are you working in this area Simon?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 12 December 2010, 2:59 PM  
koordinates is kool!! and yeah not specifically but i am at the canty regional council so i get in the loop every now and again.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 17 December 2010, 7:38 AM  
I attended the LINZ meeting yesterday to discuss LINZ's rollout of LINZ Data Services. It was a technical meeting to ask for opinions on the data that LINZ will provide.

The Data Services will initially just be providing simplified data gearing towards the general user.

The LINZ Data Services is planned to be rolled out on 1st July next year - funding has just been approved and development will be done in April and May of next year.

The data will be provided by the Koordinates platform and the data will be free. There will be further workshops on user requirements and further industry consultation.

Datasets to be provided will be :
hydro
cadastral
geodetic
electoral

The meeting focused on the cadastral data to be provided - it was felt there was no problem with what will be provided for the other datasets.

For the cadastral data services:
- only a simplified dataset will be provided
- an incremental supply will be provided but not in the first release
- initially the frequency will be monthly but may end up being more frequent
- full supply will only be available via ftp
- eventually users will also be able to consume data via an API, or WFS or WMS.
- the title dataset will be split due to privacy concerns and only certain users will have access to owner information.

My thoughts were that they would be lucky to roll out the services before 1st July and that the data was too simplifed for my work's purposes - the service is not for high end users.

It should however prove useful to Orienteers.

I will keep you posted.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 20 December 2010, 4:32 PM  
it will be great to get a WMS from LINZ!!! i had a map using their old WMS but then they ended it around this time last year... was handy...

anywyay. sounds good!!

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 29 June 2011, 8:12 AM  
LDS is now live on the internet for anyone to browse and request access.

Register and sign in at https://data.linz.govt.nz/login/ using your email address.

Read about the LINZ Data Service here: http://www.linz.govt.nz/about-linz/news-publications-and-consultations/linz-datasets/linz-data-service

Visit the GeoMash Data Forum here: http://dataforums.open.org.nz/groups/geomash

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 June 2011, 9:07 AM  
Bryan can you advise us what's in here that would be useful for the orienteering or rogaining mapmaker? I can see the Topo50 datasets (but the 20m contours were already available at Koordinates). LINZ doesn't appear to be interested in improving its ancient ground modelling, the place to go for this is the larger local authorities (thru Koordinates or by direct request.) Out of the large urban areas we're out of luck aren't we?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 30 June 2011, 3:50 AM  
The TOPO 50 datasets are more useful for rogaining than orienteering. These days, you can get good Lidar contours from most councils to create a good base maps.

LINZ may in the future have high resolution aerials for download which may be useful but not for a few years.

If you wanted to produce less detailed maps with coastline/topography or produce software / web pages where you can zoom / pan at different scales then some of the files may be useful.

Some of the ownership data would be useful if you wanted to show owners on a map (but not relevant to orienteering).

I tried downloading the survey/title layer for New Zealand and there are many parcels without owners and it initially crashed and it took 3 days before the 788mb file was ready for me to download.

I would think that the LINZ site would be faster than the Koordinates site (Koordinates are acutally doing the work for LINZ)
and it's a bit newer.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz