maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Easter 2011?

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 22 September 2010, 4:23 PM  
Does NZ have an Easter event.

I thought you probably did. If so where is it next year?
Any websites with details yet.

We are trying to decide whether to travel east to NZ or in the opposite direction to Western Australia. Not much difference in travel time and probably cheaper to head across to the shaky isles, but maybe more dangerous bro.

Thanks in advance

Geoff & Margaret, Newcastle

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 23 September 2010, 12:01 AM  
In sunny Hawkes Bay
http://2011.hborienteering.com/

Show Profile  addison Posted: 23 September 2010, 12:48 AM  
Of course higher quality events on this side of the tasman :-)

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 23 September 2010, 2:13 AM  
Thanks Carsten/Simon, appreciate the heads up.

It's funny that we have only ever been to WA once but to NZ 4 times.
That may be a deciding factor, but at the moment it's 50/50.

Will there possibly be other events leading up to or afterwards on the other weekends?
(just noticed the "follow-on" series tab)

Is there much happening over there O-wise in Feb?

Margaret company is trying to force her to take her long service leave (5 months) and we are looking at what to do with that time. She is resisting taking it all but legislation seems to back the fat cat CEO that is just doing it to have his financial buckets look sweet with no consideration for his employees desires or needs. What an arsehole!

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 23 September 2010, 2:57 AM  
The North Island Secondary School Championships are scheduled in Taupo the following weekend and it is likely there will be events for 18+ as well. Given that it is the school holidays, there will be some things planned for the week in-between.

In Feb, not that I'm aware of at this stage.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 23 September 2010, 4:36 PM  
Thanks Honch...sounds good and the campervans are cheaper over there than WA as well.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 23 September 2010, 11:29 PM  
Geoff there could be something in Feb if you guys wanted to come over and use the leave up and organise something :-)

Show Profile  footprints Posted: 24 September 2010, 9:41 AM  
NZ is a bit too far to travel for a Newcastle event, but it's better than meeting half-way.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 24 September 2010, 12:30 PM  
Hey Russell - what you doing around these parts?
Don't let anybody else know I might be a traitor and go Kiwi for Easter!

Show Profile  footprints Posted: 24 September 2010, 1:01 PM  
Easter in NZ is an option we're looking at too, eh bro.

Show Profile  leepback Posted: 25 September 2010, 3:35 AM  
We're thinking of visiting film sites. No not those relating to that silly trilogy bout hobbits etc
We will be looking for sites they filmed "Eagle V Shark" and "Boy". And maybe even "Out of the Blue"

BTW at a quick glance campervans seem to be under AUS$30 per day (not sure about any hidden extras)

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 25 September 2010, 4:42 AM  
Triping around the east cape towards Whakatane would take you through the 'Boy' communities, also 'Whale Rider' and some real life 'Once Were Warriors' sets. Take care! There are some lovely spots around there and then especially further north all around the Coromandel Peninsula.
Don't know about the Campervans, the cheapest i ever found over here was through 'Anzcro'. One thing for sure I can vouch that they are cheaper than oz for sure.
Not being a bias local from the Hawkes Bay I can also vouch for the area being a great location for Orienteering and holidays. The sun usually shines and they always have nice terrain, maps and courses not to mention great hospitality... must be all the wine from the local vinyards.
It would be great to have more Aussie visitors at the Easter 2011 Nationals

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 25 September 2010, 5:42 AM  
... and if you enjoyed the NZ History drama 'River Queen' this may interest you http://bridgetonowheretours.co.nz/riverqueen.html
It's a little SW of Tongariro National Park which has the very popolar 'Tongariro Crossing' one day walk. http://www.doc.govt.nz/upload/documents/parks-and-recreation/tracks-and-walks/tongariro-taupo/tac-web-brochure-2010.pdf
There are many web sites about this where the organise drop off and pickup from various towns such as Turangi, which is also a lovely spot at that time of the year with a great Rafting tours on the scenic Tongariro River and some nice mountain biking options http://www.trr.co.nz/

yes maybe i should have been a travel agent

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 25 September 2010, 10:13 AM  
Most of Eagle vs Shark was filmed round either downtown Wellington or Titahi Bay (suburb of Porirua, just north of Wellington) including Whitireia Park where you can also go orienteering!

As Paul says, Boy and Whale Rider were filmed either side of East Cape - Whale Rider not far north of Gisborne (forget the name of the community) and Boy around Waihou Bay and the Motu bridge east of Opotiki. Beautiful part of the country but about as wealthy as it looks in either film.

For "Out of the blue" (must watch that some time) you'll want that other island - specifically the area round Dunedin, not sure if it was actually shot (unfortunate term) at Aramoana, there were issues with the film being made. And somewhere inland is "In my father's den" country (and that OTHER Miranda-Otto-looking-stunning-in-Central-Otago film) - shoulda come to this year's nationals for that!

Yeah, I'm a film geek too...

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 25 September 2010, 10:31 AM  
What about Scarfies ....

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 September 2010, 12:13 PM  
Leepback I don't think you should be looking at a campervan, you'll want a Mini.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz