maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

JWOC 2010

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 7 July 2010, 6:53 AM  
Interesting course-splitting device in the boys. A loop with a leg across the middle, looks like you could do loop-then-across or across-then-loop and provide exactly the same orienteering. Has this got a name?

Another thing I hadn't seen before is the "mandatory crossing point" symbol on the map (boys 25-26) without anything to cross or any features at all that I can see. A spectator leg of course but I wonder what defined the point on the ground.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 7 July 2010, 7:42 AM  
Had this in a Waitangi series race one - Waihora? I think it's what's called a ?phi-loop (or some greek letter anyway)

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 7 July 2010, 9:47 AM  
Also used in the Great Day O in 2006, although this JWOC loop is a bit different; it returns from the second pivot to the first pivot round the outside rather than through the middle.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 July 2010, 5:40 AM  
No doubt Selena is feeling a bit down but if her mis-punch didn't involve a short-cut, she can be very pleased with her time - would have been the 2nd kiwi girl! Plenty of years yet Selena.

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 8 July 2010, 6:49 AM  
Selena unfortunately punched the boys control 5 which was really close to her control 5.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 8 July 2010, 10:26 AM  
Looks like a good run from Selena otherwise. Go well tonight guys, we'll be watching.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 8 July 2010, 12:44 PM  
Yes, it's a phi-loop, alternating runners do the controls in a different a order - in this case some take 9 immediately after 8, and others take it after doing 8-10-11-12.

To make it extra interesting you can include a map-change at control 11 in this case, then the runners are not aware what the common controls (8 & 10) are until after the map-change. This is generally accepted to be a much better splitting technique than using butterfly loops.

Show Profile  Norm Posted: 8 July 2010, 2:15 PM  
JWOC Middle - Qualification

Just in case there is anyone out there who is unsure of how this works...

There are 3 heats, all quite separate races. (That is why Scott and Jourdan can have the same start time of 11:40am local). The 3 races will have slightly different lengths, and different winning times. The objective is to be in the top 20 places in your heat. Those 60 people (ie 3 x 20) go into the prestigeous A final. The people 21st-40th in their heat go into the B final, the rest into the C final, on tomorrow.

Statistically is a bit 'easier' for the Women to make the A final (60/124) than for the Men (60/157).

The results for the 6 heats are showing up now at: http://www.jwoc2010.dk/tempres/CLASS.HTM

Remember it is probable that the 'faster/better' runners are running later for many countries.

Pretty poor effort by the Danes with live results, considering that the Ausies could do it from Dubbo 3 years ago !

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 8 July 2010, 2:23 PM  
Great run from Angela. Currently 4th - 13 sec down. Beat both the Swiss in her heat. wow

Show Profile  AlistairR Posted: 8 July 2010, 3:09 PM  
Matts had a good run as well 9th at the moment...

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 8 July 2010, 3:33 PM  
Results through - Angela, Scott Mc and Matt Ogden all qualified for Middle Final! All 12 Swedes and 12 Norwegians qual'd, unsurprisingly.

Show Profile  paultheOctopus Posted: 8 July 2010, 3:43 PM  
three through, awesome, just as i predicted

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 July 2010, 5:28 PM  
NZ 60% of all non-European qualifiers? The mouse that roared.
When they bring in that new system where you divide by the distance travelled to the event, we'll be home and hosed.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 9 July 2010, 12:57 AM  
Excellent Angela, Scott & Matt. Note Laura just a minute off qualifying too. Mr Octopus, what margin will Dincan win the C final by?

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 9 July 2010, 3:00 AM  
Alistair, how do you make sure at the map change at 11 that runners pick up the right map - some runners doing 11-12-13 and others doing 11-12-9-13?

I would have thought it better to make the legs a bit different in length - I found in the Winter Classic where I had too loops the same distance / similar splits that it didn't really test any followers enough as the time taken was only about 2 minutes
and its easy to make that back up after the loops are done. I've seen examples of courses with 3 butterfly loops of different lengths (short, middle and long) which I thought would definitely split up to 6 runners who were running together. In this year's Winter Classic I'm thinking of using both methods - pivot with 3 butterfly loops of different lengths, followed by a phi-loop (maybe with a map-change).

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz