maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

What makes a good Club Relay?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 27 May 2010, 3:34 AM  
you're starting to confuse me Paul ... if you were thinking about day relays then why did u mention Tiomila and Jukola?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 27 May 2010, 3:46 AM  
haha, yes they could easily have been taken in the wrong context, i didn't confuse myself though

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 May 2010, 6:31 AM  
It needs to be said that relays can be too hard. There was an ANZ relay at Naseby planned by Ken and Anitra Dowling where you might have seen a couple of people in the whole race. Though the controls were all in the right place etc it didn't FEEL like a relay.

The next day we went to Gladbrook (open with rocks). Everyone including the Australians was saying "why on earth wasn't the relay HERE?"

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 27 May 2010, 7:18 AM  
I remember that event very well Michael. Don't recall there was too much tagging done as people were out so long. Consequently they ran out of water at the drink stations.

Regarding Katoa Po: We are always open to changes. We have repeatedly asked for suggested changes, but nothing has eventuated, so we must assume the current formula works reasonably well.

Numbers have dropped recently as the event clashes with other events (e.g WOMAD, and the odd wedding). There was a time that there were few events (outside of orienteering) in the calendar but this is no longer the case as the seems to be a whole host of Adventure Races going on.

As orienteers get older their sight (or lack of it) is usually the limiting factor in night orienteering. There has been a noticeable decrease in "the regulars" at Katoa Po over the last few years.

It is easy to swell the numbers if other events are run in conjunction with the event. Importing several dozen Aussies to the event helped heaps, but it doesn't happen every year. NZ participation still remains poor.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 29 May 2010, 4:57 AM  
As long as the relay rules remain what they are, I like the way some course setters have applied them. IE there have been relays where there have been good strong attackpoints all the way, so by definition orange, but not on the most efficient route choice, so a skilled orienteer still has the advantage.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz