maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Royal Orienteering Carnival - Queens Birthday

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 18 May 2010, 3:16 PM  
Enter today! Queens Birthday Weekend - the Royal Orienteering Carnival.
Its going to be a right royal experience. This is a pre-entry event. Entries close Thursday 20th May - they need to be in by the end of this week.
Enter at www.navevent.co.nz/QB2010/

includes:
* Five Races in Three Days
* Pine forest on sand dune terrain and challenging gully-spur terrain
* A level NZOF status for main events
* Courses suitable for all levels - Course Grades 10 years and up.
* including:
** Exciting SuperSeries races for elites
** The Australians are coming over to battle it out with the New Zealand team
** Aussie and Kiwi team member introductions
** Secondary School Challenge
** Fun Night Relay event on the coastal Muriwai Golf course and Social Dinner
** Spot prizes
** Fastest Splits
** Onsite Food options on some days
** Short String Course for youngsters
** Lolly Scrambles, and more!

Website will be updated to include additional information over the next couple of weeks.

Enter Now at www.navevent.co.nz/QB2010/

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 19 May 2010, 3:37 AM  
Don't you have to have official permission (from the Queen) before you can use the term "Royal" in a name (e.g. Royal NZ Navy, Royal Air Force, Royal Canadian Mounted Police, Royal NZ Foundation of the Blind, etc)?

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 20 May 2010, 4:35 AM  
Surely the word "royal" does not necessarily have to pertain the British monarchy. Oxford dictionary, meaning 2: "of a quality or size suitable for a king or queen; splendid" and that fits perfectly with our orienteering event at Queens Birthday weekend.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 May 2010, 8:42 AM  
I wonder if Queen asked the Queen before they named their band Queen. And which Queen did they ask?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 20 May 2010, 9:02 AM  
and did the Queen get it wrong on a real estate investment in one of New York City's more famous boroughs?

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 20 May 2010, 9:07 AM  
'spose those of us who havn't put our entry in yet (what's the latest minute possible?) should do so before Rolf starts pulling his hair out

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 20 May 2010, 3:49 PM  
I guess it's a question of how you view the term "royal" - as an adjective (describing the nature of the event), or as a noun.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 20 May 2010, 10:40 PM  
Well map guy, there's a Royal Road in Massey (auckland), that's a noun and wonder if local govt had to go running to the Queen for that? (not to mention all the Queen St and King St's in the country)

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 21 May 2010, 4:09 AM  
There are some 57 roads/places in NZ that contain the word "Royal" in them. I was just concerned that somebody might have a go at the organisers for using (or misusing) a term which I believe is covered by a charter granted by the Head of State (The Queen). Bit like people who have surnames like Hilton and Harrod who are prevented using their name in their business for fear of prosecution.

I would like to see some positive discussion on the event from now on.............

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 21 May 2010, 4:26 AM  
Sorry Jim i didn't realise you were serious, I thought it was a trivia discussion as the excitment builds

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 21 May 2010, 5:49 AM  
I reckon it will be a fantastic carnival with some of the best Woodhill terrain you can get, and areas that have been kept for this.

Should be big numbers with the Bushrangers coming from Aus and Schools challenge adding to the crowds.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz