maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Pinestars v Bushrangers, NOL, & Aust WOC Trial

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 May 2010, 2:51 AM  
by all accounts everyone has headed home bruised and battered after a very physical encounter with some tough ozzie bush. Keen to see the results but they're nowhere to be seen yet, in the meantime the link takes you to the web page where you can click on and see the tough maps...
http://www.orienteering.asn.au/nationalleague/nol2010/rd3/

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 17 May 2010, 4:24 AM  
Yeah, havnt they got a 'Val Morrsion' over there hasselling them about posting results?!! No excuses with electronic punching. Very poor.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 17 May 2010, 4:53 AM  
I was about to organise a sweepstake on guessing when Val would post on this thread. Sadly it will have to wait for another time.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 17 May 2010, 6:23 AM  
Its not only MY child Im interested in.....I hope you realise?!! Hahaha.....youre a cheeky bugga HeadHoncho.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 17 May 2010, 6:32 AM  
Still no results, very poor

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 17 May 2010, 9:32 AM  
some indication of the final long race is described well here thanks to Blair Trewin's colourful account of his run (borrowed from Blair's public AP log)

"Sunday May 16
9 AM
Run race ((orienteering)) 2:25:31 [4] *** 14.6 km (9:58 / km) +550m 8:23 / km
spiked:26/33c
NOL Long at Belanglo. I was expecting this to be a long race from the start and was mentally preparing for something in the order of two hours. As soon as we hit the eucalypt it was time to reassess expectations; the eucalypt part of Belanglo has greened up a lot since I was last here in 1996, and two hours was going to be conservative. With my lack of a base this meant I also made my pace conservative, perhaps a bit too conservative as I was caught early by Michael Adams.

My line into 3 was poor, unable to find a good way down the cliffs, but otherwise I was solid technically for the first 13. It certainly didn't take long to realise that the map had serious printing problems, with dot point features (principally boulders and high points) barely visible (they printed at about the size of a single rocky ground dot), and cliff line gaps, important here, also hard to see. (The green was also fairly meaningless - almost the whole eucalypt area was light green, and the mapped green wasn't discernably worse than anything else). Shep went through me (six minutes) at 13, a little later than I expected (turned out he'd lost time early). I had my first time loss at 14, 30 seconds or so, and then a more significant one at 17, one of the aforementioned invisible knolls, with about 2.5 minutes gone. Jules (who also lost time here) went through me and I didn't expect to see him again, so I was quite surprised when he went through me again 30 minutes later at 23 (he'd lost major time at 18 and 21).

We hit the spectator control, with what I thought was about 30 minutes to go. I was together with Steve Todkill at that point and holding up OK physically, and edged away from him over the next few controls before losing it again with a 90-second mistake at 29 (my fault this time, although the map print again didn't help). The last few controls were fearsome with two gorge crossings; I couldn't run much up the steep hills, but otherwise held it together to the finish.

I can't say I was really racing here, but at least I got through a very long and physical race which will count for a bit later on. As a WOC trial it was disappointing; I don't have a problem with a long WOC trial (in fact I think it should be set to a winning time of 105 or thereabouts, since that's what WOC races have actually been won in in recent years more often than not), but I do have a problem with it being held on such a badly printed map."

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 17 May 2010, 10:14 AM  
Belanglo eh? Maybe the results team made the mistake of trying to hitchhike home from the race....

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 17 May 2010, 10:29 AM  
Splits times available for the middle, but si problems behind the delays. See orienteering Aus website. Kiwis really struggled.

Val, I haven't seen results for pre and post all night relay races. Any idea who was behind that?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 17 May 2010, 2:19 PM  
As the Oz National League points have been updated, you can work out placings at least for the Kiwis. Standout performance for us of the weekend - Jourdan, third in the sprint behind Julian and Simon, and ahead of Shep. James B was 8th in both sprint and long.

Best women performance was Amber with 7th in the sprint. As the splits show, Rita came 10th in the middle, as did Georgia in the sprint.

Show Profile  Blair Trewin Posted: 17 May 2010, 4:19 PM  
The NOL points should be mostly accurate, but one issue which affects NZ is that on the splits file I have for Sunday, Michael Adams is shown as having missed #6 - which seems unlikely to me as I was within sight of him at the time (although I didn't actually see him punch). If he ends up being official he'll be 14th with everyone below that moving down a place.

There are almost-final results for the sprint up now via the story on the OA webpage (only issue I know of is that Grant Bluett should be a DNF).

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 18 May 2010, 2:51 AM  
The Miners (or should it be Orienteers) Dispair map printing sounds like a complete shambles, blurry, highly pixelated, tiny dots for boulders etc. How this came about, like our strange Nasbey relay map, shows major problems with the printing can occur at last minute which are too late to re do. I read the course setter was dissapointed that they had to print at 1:15000 for the top courses, but this cannot be the cause of the problems - my home colour laser printer churned out a very beautiful crisp and clear version of the sample pdf map of the area.
Such a shame for all involved

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 18 May 2010, 6:21 AM  
Yes the pdf on the website is beautifully crisp even at high magnification, whatever happend must have been later in the process, possibly involving the course setting software. Still haven't got down on the Naseby problem, but we have proved it was NOT the printer at fault.

But I am curious about the choice of this area. One of orienteering's great experiences is flying into Sydney, calling on Dave Lotty to buy some training maps, and heading out of town to "The Hut". This is a house in Belanglo Forest owned or rented by OANSW with maps all around. And historic towns with cafes and pubs, but I digress.

One of the maps he will give you is "Miners Despair". While completely fresh maps are less common now, I would have thought that a less well-run area would have been used for an event of this status.
(Rider - I don't know where the courses went. Maybe they went where no man has ventured for years and that's why the times were so long:-))

Show Profile  Blair Trewin Posted: 18 May 2010, 10:03 AM  
I don't believe the area has been used for a significant event for about 10 years; I haven't run there myself since 1996. That said, I don't think there was a lot of new fieldwork on the map, which counts for something in an area where the vegetation isn't necessarily too stable.

Show Profile  footprints Posted: 18 May 2010, 6:58 PM  
Routegadget for Middle distance at "Wattle Ridge" is here:

http://garingal.com.au/cgi-bin/gadget3/reitti.cgi?act=map&id=108&kieli=

The other 2 events are in a pipeline somewhere.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 May 2010, 3:42 AM  
Might be OK to serve up Kapamahanga again then?

No that's a bad example, but couldn't resist it:-)) A better example would be an area regularly used for OYs. When I was there last Dave gave me a map with a recent course on it.

This message was edited by Michael on 19 May 2010, 11:51 AM

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 May 2010, 5:46 AM  
Unfortunately Michael the areas Oz used for their trials do have some relevance to WOC.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz