maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Head lamps

Show Profile  robert06 Posted: 22 February 2010, 8:02 AM  
We used a Silva LX 5w aprox 30% on full beam for most of the 10 hour we were out at murwai. Still lighting up ok on high beam now. From time to time there are good buys on trade-me - $150ish.
On the above usage it would be good for all the 7man relay team at the nite Os or all night on a relay.

Show Profile  owen Posted: 22 February 2010, 10:16 AM  
Marcus, from the description on the ayup website it sounds like you might have the medium beam (which is the widest one)...

http://www.ayup-lights.com/technical/faq/

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 23 February 2010, 3:12 AM  
Owen - yes, that is it. Definitely the best for running etc. I find the narrow and wide beams aren't suited for foot stuff (great on a bike though) but that is just me. The medium beam definitely works best for map reading as well.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 23 February 2010, 9:17 AM  
Owen

I've not used the narrow beam on my headband. I did carry it on Friday night, but didn't need to take it out of my bag cos the intermediate was providing heaps of light

Best beam pattern combo? Depends on what you're using them for. You really only need narrow beam for MTBing...(?) if thats not your primary use, why buy it? If you're going to spend most time say, rogaining, two intermediates might be better? You still use them MTBing (handlebar & helmet) just won't get the same throw... but not a bad compromise?

Show Profile  owen Posted: 24 February 2010, 4:32 AM  
Thanks for the loan of the lights Nick, we tried them out last night in the back paddock, up the road (no street lights around our way) and into the trees in Riverhead forest... wow, they completely blow our existing lights out of the water!

I haven't upgraded my lights for a few years, now I'm glad I held off ;-) I've saved some money (to pay for these!) and there are less unsatisfactory lights stashed away in the back of the cupboard

While Carole reckoned she was OK walking with the narrow beam I think she'd be much better off with an intermediate or medium - the narrow would be best as a helmet light on MTB (or even a handheld spot?)

Choosing two is a bit of a dilemma - the long's good for biking, but intermediate (or medium) are better for on foot - and we need two sets for on foot. So 2xintermediate or intermediate+medium or... maybe splash out and go for narrow+intermediate+medium to cover all bases - guess I'll have to make up my mind soon...

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz