maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Use It or Lose It

Show Profile  addison Posted: 19 November 2009, 1:41 PM  
I'm let down by the non-use of Maptalk Photos. It sort defeats the purpose when people go to events, take photos, then don't put them up.

That sucks.

Why?

(a) our national magazine editor then has to muck around trying to track down photos
(b) we all acknowledge that its hard promoting orienteering, so nothing better than some good recent photos that are readily available for this - which they arent at the moment
(c) when people have success overseas etc we often within a few hours write articles for press releases, and often there isn't any photos readily available

So my warning is USE IT or LOSE IT.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 February 2011, 5:41 AM  
We've had top international results in rogaining. I've made some "slots" for some of our stars. I've asked those involved if they have photos they could supply but naturally they don't take a lot of themselves. If you have any relevant pics please put them on Maptalk. If there isn't a slot and you think there should be, contact michael (at) mapsport.co.nz

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 23 February 2011, 7:19 AM  
I would have thought that the overhead required to maintain the photos functionality of maptalk was minimal now that it is set up.

Seems a bit drastic and draconian to remove something just because of poor usage. Better to ask for a volunteer to actively maintain it by going around at events and ask people to send photos in.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 23 February 2011, 7:21 AM  
I agree Bryan, sounds all a bit drastic.

Simon why can't it just be USE IT or NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO IT?

Show Profile  darren Posted: 23 February 2011, 7:34 AM  
I agree Bryan, sounds all a bit drastic.

Simon why can't it just be USE IT or NOTHING WILL HAPPEN TO IT?

Show Profile  X Posted: 23 February 2011, 10:29 AM  
Is it too restricted? My powers tell me that there are only so many photos of elites one can photograph and look at. Every Tom, Dick and Harry could add some spice, and this could be an awesome facility to capture event ambience, scenery and general O photos, for further use or just nice viewing.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 February 2013, 4:18 AM  
Have we finally lost it? I can't seem to log in to add photos of our World Cup heroes in action - the login is still there but loops me back to the "public" version of the page with no "add photos" option in the individual athlete pages.

Show Profile  bards68 Posted: 3 February 2013, 6:50 AM  
Maybe we could have other categories than just the
'Stars" some people my have some really good pictures of "Regular" orienteers that might be good to use so we can be familiar with people we see but have never met ......being relatively new to the sport I may be barking up the wrong tree, but I can say that due to the nature of the sport I can take a bit to get to know others names etc, maybe if it was more inclusive as a resource it would then by its nature get used more...perhaps a system of submission so it doesn't get out of hand...any way just my thoughts. Happy to send someone just the Elites if someone explains who's and how's.
Cheers.

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 3 February 2013, 6:53 AM  
Try logging in from the Events page and then go to the photos section.

I will be moving maptalk to a new server soon and plan to fix that bug and a few others after the move.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 February 2013, 8:44 AM  
Thanks Fraser, that "roundabout" login fix worked. While I'm nagging though ;-) , can I suggest world cup team members Cosette Saville and Imogene Scott have earned pages now?

Also, while I think that this photo library is an awesome resource, whenever I'm part way through a big uploading session, my inner cynic often starts wondering how often it gets used for the intended purpose (ie media, promotion, athletes' own use for chasing sponsors and that kind of thing). Does the site track how many times photos have been downloaded or anything like that?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 3 February 2013, 8:55 AM  
Also, I kind of see the point that X and Sean are making... but a "social" resource and a "media" resource are different enough animals that Maptalk photos as it stands shouldn't try to do both. If anyone wanted to set up another more egalitarian photo library for "Regular orienteers" and "to capture event ambience, scenery and general O photos, for further use or just nice viewing" I for one would support it, but in the mean time it might just be a lot easier and more realistic to keep encouraging the Norm Jagers, Dwayne (though we all know it's Lynda that takes the photos!) Smiths and Nic Gormans of the world to keep sharing links to their own on-line albums.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 February 2013, 3:37 PM  
I would think the Superseries Manager, the NZOF Promotion Officer and the Webmaster would be using them all the time.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 4 February 2013, 4:53 AM  
We no longer have a national magazine or a year book...do we? So you can probably scratch point(a)?

Show Profile  fraser Posted: 4 February 2013, 7:40 AM  
The photos section got just over 7,000 page views in 2012, from a total of just under 393,000 page views for the whole site.

http://www.maptalk.co.nz/images/maptalk-2012-photos.pdf
http://www.maptalk.co.nz/images/maptalk-2012-all.pdf

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz