maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

NZOF Web Site

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 1 November 2009, 6:19 PM  
My observation is that the NZOF web site is a disaster. Its clunky, old and seldom updated, and Im an aging 60+ person. If the NZOF web site is a turn-off to me I suspect younger people never look at it. My most recent example is looking for a current list of accredited controllers. NZOF web site for this was last updated in 2005. Even if nothing has changed since then (but it has changed) then at least the web site should at least say that is current as at xx.xx.xx date. I believe that web sites are important and as I see ours as old, deficient, and not updated my general impression of the NZOF is hugely degraded. Our web site should be updated with every release of NZOF News, not just as a news release but linked to a search query. Hopefully, I search on the web site for JWOC Policy and there it is.
I may be old fashioned, but I thought web sites are a current way of finding information. Or has NZOF bypassed the web site technology and plans to move marginally forward to twitting, face-booking or signing up all its members to a text service.
I survive on well below the average wage, but would happily support an increase in my NZOF membership subscription by a miserable $0.01c per day (thats about $5,000 p.a. for NZOF if all members did the same) just to see a lively, modern, and frequently updated web site.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 2 November 2009, 12:27 AM  
Criticism about the NZOF website is warranted and accepted. Money is not the problem Selwyn, as I'm sure you appreciate organisations mainly driven by volunteers don't always get things done in the time they would like.

Earlier this year NZOF at least found someone to volunteer their services, they have spent their spare time developing a new platform and as a consequence the existing website is becoming increasingly out-of-date. Short-term pain for long-term gain.

PS I suspect (a) $5000 would not be enough if we were to get an upgrade done externally/commercially (b) not all members would support expenditure of the magnitude required

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 February 2010, 3:22 AM  
Some may be pleased to know that after a too-long period of inactivity the NZOF website is getting up-to-date. We're working through the menu top to bottom and currently we're at High Performance (so all club contact details are current), and the multitude of other things that need to be done will be actioned over the coming weeks.

Big thanks to jackabi who's the one doing the work.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 February 2010, 3:34 AM  
Updating with links to an even more out of date website, yeah looking good

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 February 2010, 8:57 AM  
Care to elaborate? (or is it that time of month?)

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 18 February 2010, 3:28 PM  
Is the NZOF website still www.nzorienteering.com ?

I had a look at it and it has nothing to do with orienteering - essentially the website is "temporarily" (I hope) not there.

I tend to agree with Selwyn's comments. I haven't bothered looking at the site in ages mainly because it was out of date.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 February 2010, 11:51 PM  
Results and Rankings

Show Profile  Svend Posted: 19 February 2010, 12:05 AM  
I just clicked on my link to the NZOF website and got the message:
"nzorienteering.com expired on 02/12/2010 and is pending renewal or deletion"

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 19 February 2010, 12:31 AM  
Sorry, results and rankings not up to date due to being overloaded with mapping and creating omaps.co.nz.

An update will appear when I find time.

'You've got to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative'.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 February 2010, 12:48 AM  
"Eliminate the negative", exactly, no point trying to use something out dated both in content, function and image.

Its great when volunteers complain about being hassled for not doing something, its not volunteering when you dont do it

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 19 February 2010, 1:30 AM  
Ah, I believe I got a rise - just what I intended.

It's obvious (apart from morons) that I'm not doing something because I'm totally swamped volunteering doing other Orienteering work.

Anyone care to help?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 February 2010, 1:56 AM  
Its easy to get a rise from someone suffering from gigantism.

Sorry Svend, the NZOF site should be back up in a day or two (great timing, I know)

Show Profile  mark Posted: 19 February 2010, 2:37 AM  
That was hardly a rise.
That was just a response.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 February 2010, 4:15 AM  
Website back up Svend

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 19 February 2010, 5:27 AM  
Its great when volunteers complain about being hassled for not doing something, its not volunteering when you dont do it

WRONG.

If someone undertakes to do something, and they haven't done it, they HAVE volunteered to do it (they just havent done it)

If you've got some spare time on your hands Greg, I'd love that report on the junior camp you VOLUNTEERED to do (but haven't received yet).

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 February 2010, 5:52 AM  
Its in the mail with that cheque I sent

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz