maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

How do you... when a course loops?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 29 September 2009, 4:57 AM  
Can I have advise on the correct way to present a course when the line between 2 controls is going to cross over another control from the same course. ie For Control 12-13, the line crosses over control 4.
Is it correct to 'bend' the line around the control or to leave a gap in the line? or are there no rules?

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 29 September 2009, 4:57 AM  
Advice

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 29 September 2009, 5:56 AM  
Although I have done it in small events I feel uneasy about bending the line; because it may suggest a route choice on that side of the beeline, and the planner should not do that.

A related conundrum is where the beeline goes through an out of bounds area. Think there's a convention that the line IS bent in this situation to go round the OOB, but what if you can go either side of it? I think this convention is conveniently ignored in urban sprints where it would be a nonsense due to the amount of OOB.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 29 September 2009, 5:57 AM  
It is recommended not to have a line going directly into another control. So in this instance you are best to put a point in the line and bend it around.

Alternatively you move one of the controls.

The other thing that many people forget is that when lines cross, the line which is later in the course should be cut so that there is no confusion for the competitor.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 29 September 2009, 6:05 AM  
Map change

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 29 September 2009, 7:54 AM  
Shouldn't all legs be the same length and produce a course that proceeds around in a circle shape, whats all this loops and cross over business

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 30 September 2009, 12:23 AM  
To answer michael's conundrum, a few races i've done recently have two lines, between 2 control points. 1 going either side of the oob area.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 30 September 2009, 3:35 AM  
Move a control or insert another to avoid the "problem".

Show Profile  Todd Oates Posted: 30 September 2009, 8:40 AM  
I'm not sure about some of these suggestions...

The following examples are all from Elites representing NZ this year!

Greg has trouble with these crazy butterfly loops: NOC Long, Finland(missed a loop)

Jamie can't handle map changes: Oceania Long, Craigieburn (maps back to back in the same bag didn't work out well)

I get thrown by bent lines: Oceania Middle, Humpy Bumpy (lots of bent lines, but at least the control numbers were all in the spot that Condes puts them)

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 30 September 2009, 3:29 PM  
"the line between 2 controls is going to cross over another control from the same course"

This is confusing course setting and should be avoided

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 October 2009, 4:18 AM  
At an event in Tasmania they had such a leg passing right through the Start. But they didnt cut the line enough and the Start triangle appeared to have 3 lines eminating from it. On picking up the map and quick folding it I ended up running to control 7 and getting very confused when the control number etc didnt match the description. Only did I have another hard look at the map to figure out what was wrong. Lost 10 minutes or so but as it was just a "fun" event I didnt Complain.

Show Profile  Rolf Posted: 8 October 2009, 1:56 AM  
Thanks for all the suggestions. We decided to bend the line. The event wasn't big enough to warrent a map change and moving controls sounds easy, but in steep terrain it was going to compromise the course too much. It would make more sense if you could see the course, but I can't do that here.
On the day, it was pouring with rain and freezing cold... and only a few hardy souls turned up. Bummer

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz