maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Primal Quest Adventure Race - Badlands

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 12 August 2009, 7:47 PM  
For those of you who need more than just WOC to follow. The "Toughest Race in the World", Primal quest is on from the 14th.

Offical website is www.ecoprimalquest.com, normally has good news and GPS tracking of teams.

Out team website www.orionadventure.com will have regular updates from our dedicated media team (Wayne's loverly wife Lynne and Big Roy Edwards).

And I have been putting a bit of pre race stuff on my blog www.pcbrent.blogspot.com

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 12 August 2009, 8:48 PM  
Fuck off over to sports hub with your other us multi-sporters

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 13 August 2009, 12:41 AM  
You're an idiot Greg.

If there is one sport that is close to orienteering it is adventure racing because navigation is required the whole time. There are many budding adventure racers who have been getting into adventure racing through Get to go and Hillary Challenges, and are now dabbling in orienteering, so we are all getting a great spin off.

Also it is a sport with a world champion team from NZ, and Brent is one of our better orienteers who was leading the Superseries after the Oceania carnival this year.

With 24 hour a day gps tracking, and team Orion probably the favourite now Nike has pulled out it will be excellent race to follow, so good luck to them.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 August 2009, 1:50 AM  
Don't worry Rob, Brent, secretly Greg does care, he's just missing his signature and wants it back ;-)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 August 2009, 7:34 AM  
Good on ya boy, do us proud!

ps, to those that just watch, Greg and Brent are the best of friends, who like to gently massage each others egos as they seek to excel in two of the most fun sports in the world! This week we will get to watch and analyse both of their performances.

Go you good things!

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 13 August 2009, 7:42 AM  
I was getting very very very worried about halfway through the first sentence of your ps Jamie

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 August 2009, 8:27 AM  
you mean

Greg and Brent are the best of friends, who like to gently massage each others....

We could run a competition to see who can complete this sentence in the most appropriate or amusing way...

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 13 August 2009, 9:52 AM  
..... girlfriends. Oh hang on, Brent doesn't have one.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 13 August 2009, 12:26 PM  
Kayaks! Oh wait, does Greg own one?

Brent - good luck for the race. Will be following progress closely. And you too Greg!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 August 2009, 3:22 PM  
While we wait the 22 hours until it starts, I wonder about the "eco" part of the internet address. When you visit the website, the "eco" is generally left out, it's simple "Primal Quest", PQ this, PQ that. You have to dig quite deep to find that they supposedly comply with some ecological standards.

Is this bandwagon-riding or is it a fundamental part of their event design. And the lessons for us as a similar sport, do we need to think about environmental footprints. Not so much what we do on the course but how we travel to and from. Maybe where events are held.

Show Profile  pcbrent Posted: 13 August 2009, 5:27 PM  
The only thing of Gregs I like to gently massage is his girlfriend.

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 18 August 2009, 3:40 AM  
Orion have been in the lead the whole way and have a 5.5 hour lead at the moment with a long paddle ahead. Paddling is one of their real strenghts compared to most overseas teams, so that lead should extend. Robbie Preston's team Merril is around 4th or 5th, but close to 3rd.

Awesome effort.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 August 2009, 2:16 AM  
orion still winning, according to link below they are 7hr's into a 30km paddle....sounds like fun

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 19 August 2009, 2:16 AM  
http://www.sleepmonsters.com/racereport.php?race_id=7624&article_id=6016&page_count=2&page_action=rep

Show Profile  nick Posted: 19 August 2009, 2:44 AM  
I think they finished the paddle about 11pm last night (our time) and are now on the penultimate stage - a trek thru the Badlands. Tracking shows them approaching the first checkpoint. There is still a long way to go, but they have a big lead and seem to have had plenty of sleep so far, so they're certainly in command of the race.

They have totally dominated PQ eh... makes me proud, and kinda makes me feel better for getting smashed by them in like, every AR I've ever done

Show Profile  Dave Posted: 19 August 2009, 7:30 AM  
I'm a bit disappointed that brent hasn't got to a computer in the last few days to provide an update.. If the WOC guys can I don't see why a precious adventure racer can't

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz