maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Silva SS Champs

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 14 August 2009, 3:55 AM  
I know its maptalk, but I'm concerned with some of the generalisations being thrown around. The ideas are cool, but blanket statements about groups aren't.

Like this for instance:
"It is also apparent that our younger orienteers are more concerned about the local scene rather than international competition"
I don't think this is a fair assessment.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 14 August 2009, 4:05 AM  
I'd be more concerned if it were the other way around

Show Profile  nick Posted: 14 August 2009, 4:30 AM  
question: would holding such a fund impact on our ability to obtain grants? would ASB, Lotteries, JR Mackenzie, Scotswood etc etc say to us "hang on, you're sitting on 100 grand and you're asking us for money? Beat it, orienteering"?

if so, the fund might have to be held by a trust.

I think Simon's "dinner" concept has potential.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 14 August 2009, 9:28 AM  
I agree with Tom. Robbie, the fact that you have been around a long time doesn't give you the right to just put your opinion forward as a fact. It being "apparent that our younger orienteers are more concerned about the local scene rather than international competition" is all very nice if that's the way you see it but perhaps you'd like to ask the people you're talking about first.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 14 August 2009, 3:48 PM  
SJ Read again your comments on page 5 Do you now have a different view? It is not my opinion,it is the comments that have been espressed throughout the debate. Comments like your own.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 August 2009, 2:19 AM  
This thread needs to die the death it deserves before someone starts taking it seriously.

Or before Robbie manages to cunningly extract more responses from the younger generation.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 15 August 2009, 3:23 AM  
You've lost the plot old man.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 15 August 2009, 3:53 AM  
@ Bryan: I was just responding to your suggestion of setting up a charitable trust for kids going o'seas - I agree that the idea of a charitable trust with appropriate aims that would satify the def'n of charitable purpose is worth exploring
@ Michael: Bequeaths is another idea with some merit but I don't have the sensitivity required
@ Tom: Someone once told me before deciding on your level of consternation at what you regard as inappropriate communication, look more at who is the messenger rather than what is the message
@ SJ: Although Jamie has expressed an interest at being regarded as kaumatua at some stage, it is a bit premature to be calling him an old man

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 15 August 2009, 5:33 AM  
I wasn't talking to Jamie

Show Profile  The Clem Posted: 15 August 2009, 6:48 AM  
Here's some numbers. In the past 4 years I've helped carry the bags for some of the NZ teams that have competed overseas. 2 training/competition events, 3 WOC's and the recent World Games. From these 6 events the NZOF contributed $27,250 (mostly entry fees), individuals in the teams contributed $82,354 towards team related costs and $81,735 was raised through fundraising, donations, sponsors and trusts. These were the bare bones options on costs. That's a heap of money and help that included half a dozen people who have contributed to this thread.

The only money that could be determined to be spent in other areas instead of overseas HP is the NZOF contribution. The rest is all specifically event related. If you considered the NZOF contribution to be seeding capital for a managed fund in international HP, then money wise the return looks pretty good. Granted that's an over-simplified view but I like simple.

Summary; team members spent lots, funding found was about the same, and the NZOF put in enough to help it happen. Don't read into any sort of suggestion or inference you may think I'm making, that's way to complex for my train of thought today, I just thought I'd give some figures for background.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 15 August 2009, 6:59 AM  
ok Jamie Your on to it.
Looking back 35 years we were at a council meeting deciding how to make $1000 cover the many needs. The problem hasnt changed just the value is bigger.We havent solved this issue over this period of time so we probably never will. The debate has been fasinating and maybe individials or clubs might gain something out of it in the form of how to gain funds for their needs or maybe not.
Our sport has come a long way in this time.It has come from a minor sport to a reconised sport.Today if you ask a group "What is orienteering" they know.Even ten years ago you wouldnt get many correct andwers.
Today we not only compete agains Australia in Secondary School we now travel to World School Championships. Our JWOC teams no longer make up the numbers. Our Elite get into the top 20 at World Games. Our membership numbers are climbing. Participation is up. We have more innovating and exciting events. Summer events are now held in most areas. We have expanded to mountain bike and rogaine orienteering with international success.We have a vigorous interchange of views on a thing called "maptalk". So whats wrong with our sport?
NOTHING

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 15 August 2009, 10:15 AM  
GO ROSS!!!!!

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz