maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Silva SS Champs

Show Profile  jeffg Posted: 7 August 2009, 4:06 AM  
If we leave the electric fences on and crank up the voltage a bit, that should make the TV coverage more exciting and marketable. Land mines around the spectator controls and finish chute are another possibility.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 7 August 2009, 4:28 AM  
I hear over in Cambodia you can pay to shoot all their weapons at a firing range, including rocket propelled grenade launchers etc. You can even pay a heap more and have a cow come out up the hill in behind and it is yours to do as you please, with what weapon pleases. Maybe somehow there is a market here... is this what you were thinking Robbie?

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 7 August 2009, 4:41 AM  
A rocket up the arse!!! No not really.
I will reveal my grand plan on Monday
So keep the ideas coming.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 7 August 2009, 5:54 AM  
Don't hurt the cows!

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 7 August 2009, 6:55 AM  
What a bloody pointless exercise this was.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 7 August 2009, 8:11 AM  
I dont know...it's possibly more entertaining than watching TV

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 7 August 2009, 9:37 AM  
at a club level, we could have more OY's which could generate more return from our maps which in turn would fund more mapping and maybe a fund to help its members who are successful - elite, junior and masters. This would require some of the ppl who currently don't do much event setting to learn the ropes and share the load.
I've noticed the Bendigo Club in Oz has a very busy schedual of events and come up with some awesome and exciting formats, they also has a large range of great maps.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 August 2009, 1:23 PM  
Someone wants to compare tri with oing, and with the statement about travelling and competing on the bones of his ass. Bevan Docherty says he spent the first 4 years of his pro racing, in Europe, living on the so call bones of tri NZ ass, as a form of training. When was the last time a junior did that? Spent some quality time in Europe, doing some proper training and racing, without the excuse "I need to get home for school/uni"

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 9 August 2009, 2:33 PM  
Georgia Whitla 2008

Paul Jensen 2008/09

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 10 August 2009, 12:32 PM  
A was once asked in a staff room. Your a money man Robbie what would you do if you won a million at lotto. I reversed the question and was surprised with their answers. Trips overseas--buy a car--pay off the morgage.I was surprised because nobody protected the investment. It should be the first thing to do. They all spent the money instead of investing the money and the interest becomes the win.
Hindsight is a great thing. If only! When we started the Woodhill Forest Run some 26 years ago-- if only we had put the money into a fund and only take the interest accrued, the fund would have a health bulk of money now and the payout from investment would be worth while. Its to late for me to go back but its not to late for you young ones to start.You need to establish the best method of getting money.You need to do the maths.If you created a multi day orienteering event like a five day, you can only expect to attract 300 max. you could charge $20 a day and if all labour was donated including mappers and nzof dropped their fee you could return $30,000. If that went into a fund in 10 years $300,000
Or If you bring back the Forest Run where the return was $8000 for one day on entry fees of $15. In todays climate entry fees are $50/$60 and the return about the same as an orienteering five day.
In this mix there are possabilities. BUT it wont work!!Not because the opportunity isnt where, but because the people that make up todays youth are mainly takers--not givers. They are not prepared to do work even if the funds didnt go into a pool but were for themselves. The old group (Landels,Jessops,Browne,Robinsons and many others)who worked so hard to get money to go to woc and jwoc from Forest Run funds, these types dont existed any more. Todays expectation is for nzof or trusts to provide money from somewhere. Its their job!
Through this thread I have attemped to stimulate discussion and hopefully start something positive. Maybe some soul searching and just maybe some one will step forward "If they could do it so can we."
Or maybe its just opened the door for more stupid comment.

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 10 August 2009, 3:12 PM  
That's a big call Robbie. I resent you putting blanket call on today's youth as not being prepared to do any hard work. Maybe we have different priorities these days?

I for one am pretty confident I could raise the money to get a fully paid trip to Europe for JWOC etc. but instead I put my effort into my university study and just bite the bullet and pay for my trips out of my own pocket, because I believe in the long run the (relatively) small cost of a trip to Europe will be returned 10 times over in my pay rate as a successful professional.

I also don't actually hear many juniors complaining that much about the money issue. Sure, we all admit it would be nice not to have to basically broke for the other 11 months of the year, but at the end of the day, as other people have said in this thread, if you want to make it to the big events you will. Has there ever been an NZ junior about whom we say "--- would have done so well if they could have just afforded to get to those events"?

Personally I believe even if the NZOF had an extra $100k of funding a year, the chances of it being spent on getting NZ teams to events is miniscule, as it should be. Basically, the issue of funding NZ teams is small compared to some of the other issues facing our sport - and were these other issues to be resolved we would have more than enough funding in our sport to pay for NZ teams. Imagine if we had 10 times as many people in orienteering - we'd have 10 times as much money and the same size teams: problem solved.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 10 August 2009, 10:41 PM  
Excuse me, us the takers and them the givers? where is this money that should have been put into a fund, did they not spend it? funny that.

The organisers of the very successful Waitangi Events did a bucket load of 'donated' work, and we currently have our profit sitting in a account earning interest, Problem is $500 doesn't earn fuck all, or get you far.

Was this your great idea, cause it just sounds like a bitch to me of the obvious, unrealistic ideal.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 10 August 2009, 11:00 PM  
What a fizzer.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 11 August 2009, 12:02 AM  
Sort of as Greg pointed out, Robbie, there are people running events now to generate some funds to support going to events. Eg Waitangi weekend and eg Southerly Storm did the Naseby events after Oceania which they used to support their attendance at the rest of the superseries events this year. And we have been doing our night navigation series for around 10 years now where initially the funds were given to squad funds for whatever purpose the manager/hp officer decided and now is used specifially for Southerly Storm members. Yes we spend it rather than financially investing it. (Is supporting people to go to events not an investment in human captial?) I guess if we could generate enough that the interest would be enough to do something meaningful with then that might be an option. But otherwise saving it seems like doing the same as people who save all their money only to retire when they're too old to enjoy it. (I'm more of the a bit each way type, just having spent three weeks holiday in Europe using money that others might say we should be putting into our new house... Personally I'd rather be rich on experiences than assets but yep you need some to get to have the experiences.)

But yes I have to say I had a bit of Robbie's sentiments when I read the first postings on this - I don't think looking for a gift horse is the way to go - there are ways to raise money for orienteering trips as many are doing (from organising fundraising events to working partime). And as many others have said it's not a problem for just orienteering in NZ, a friend of mine who was in the NZ hockey team at the Sydney olympics had to pretty much pay for all her training camps etc herself. And hopefully there's enough altruism left that clubs can do things like running an event where all the proceeds go to a particular member or group of members to support them. No doubt others are happier to donate their time this way if they can see that those who benefit are are also making efforts and of course training their asses off.

And yep I agree with Simon J that it would be good if we could action lots of the ideas that have been said at various times which would help to increase the number of people who orienteer in NZ. Let's all be doers (as well as internet writers...)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 11 August 2009, 12:54 AM  
I tend to switch off when people start hassling other generations. I am firmly of the opinion there are takers, givers, dudes and idiots of all ages.

I am inspired by the young juniors and elites we have who are making big sacrifices and working hard to advance themselves in orienteering and life. Many of them make huge contributions to our sport.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz