maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Silva SS Champs

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 1 August 2009, 4:58 PM  
whats this thing you have with your trademark cows mick?

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 1 August 2009, 5:00 PM  
pick the dairy farmer ay! Purely a professional relationship

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 1 August 2009, 5:03 PM  
as they provide a bovine-intellectual counterpoint to the frantic contour lashings while also referencing the economic tipping point that orienteering needs to achieve in balnce with the dairy industry

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 2 August 2009, 1:41 AM  
milk it for all its worth.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 2 August 2009, 10:19 AM  
mick - great videos! thanks heaps!

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 2 August 2009, 12:49 PM  
yea, good videos. ive never made any where ive put a map onto the screan with. hope to do so sometime though.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 2 August 2009, 4:09 PM  
My thoughts

What i am about to write is not a dig at anyone or any organisation or club....but, we have some kids/young adults with HUGE potential in this country and some young nz orienteers who are serious about footing it overseas with the other countries,and believeing they can do well. To get there unless the person-concerned family has the money, they have to work, try and fit in Uni or school, and go up a level or two of training other than a few runs a week.
I know Robbie thinks Tim is going to be good, but as he said "The question I ask is how can we now develop some FUND to take this talent to its potential".....the few national events on the long weekends are NOT enough any more. These kids need exposure to aussie/international competitiion. This is why the NZ Schools team to Australia has helped our Juniors progress so they are a force to be reckoned with.
At the World Schools event in Spain this year a NZ lad was 5th surrounded by boys from Sweden,Sweden, Finland, Finland, NZ, Poland, France. The boys from Sweden go to a Orienteering School fulltime!
At the recent JWOC in Italy, a lot of other teams,including Australia were amazed that our NZ team have to pay for JWOC week themselves and that there is NO funding. I know, thats the way it is and we are a small country, so im not getting at NZOF or anything. Yes, Australia has got a World Champ but even if a NZer won or got in top ten at WOC would anything really change....i seriously doubt it? I just think this is really sad.
I know some of you old farts wont agree but the future of this sport IS in the young orienteers of this country and them getting to go overseas and compete...just look at some of our results at JWOC and WOC in the last couple of years. I dont know where the money can come from, but cant we perhaps have someone whose job is specifically to try and get funding, and any funding maybe needs to be allocated to those who are doing serious training and maybe some sore of fitness means test? JWOC used to be about a 'trip overseas' for some, and maybe if lucky we'd get in a B final in the Middle....things have changed...just look at this years results.
If we cant get them overseas then we need serious, well-run training camps and more than one or two a year.
I know.....these ARE the ramblings of a mother of four orienteers who still 'loves' working in her 1970's kitchen!!(NOT!) Im just concerned cause not a lot has changed since we started O-ing 18 years ago, everything still gets analysed and talked about but hardly anything changes. Lets somehow help these young people coming through or this sport will die cause there is so many other sports they can choose to do.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 August 2009, 1:24 AM  
Hey Val

It is awesome to see the talented and committed juniors coming through.

Like you I think the NZ Schools Team to Oz has been a brilliant development in our sport in the last five or six years and the people responsible for that can take a lot of satisfaction for what they have made happen.

I don't have any funding ideas re JWOC. It's a big expense for anyone, and most that have attended in the last 20 years (since JWOC started) have had significant support from their families. I don't think we can hope to support this on a sustainable basis, and it will be that old story of been thankful for the opportunities and funding that do come your way and accepting that it won't be the same year on year.

I think there are a couple of other opportunities out there though to make something happen...in the context that opportunity arises out of crisis... and keen on others views...

1) Elite Test Matches..

These haven't been a success. The Aussies have fiddled with their criteria and we have often struggled to put a team on the field, while we have even been known to bring in athletes from outside the National Squad. This year so far we are unable to put a team together to visit Australia....

Could we: have an annual u23/u25 test match with Australia (which would have to be run on a separate course to the elites) to replace one of the current test matches...likely candidates for coaching such a team would be those who supported them through JWOC

2) National Squad. Talk about crisis.

Can we:

recognise the National Squad for what it is, a "standard", a stamp that you have made the transition from talented junior to someone that can compete on the elite stage on your own right. We could even rename it "National Standard" orienteer ;-)

You may not chose to compete for years on end but when you do, you will always be professional and dangerous.

You are an adult racer and you don't particularly have time for camps (they are an inefficient use of your training time and spousal brownie points), or often even time for orienteering full stop, as you have career and family commitments.

You have a proven ability to finish within 105% of the winning time at major events..Guys like Bruce McLeod and Jason Markham (I know just cause he thrashed me yesterday), will meet this criteria while many current squaddies scrape along on the 115% threshold achieved in less prestigious ranking events....

Once we have this "National" hubris out of the way, we can look at ways of positively supporting the far more limited pool of orienteers that are willing to commit to training towards major events, whether they be WOC or ANZ Challenge or whatever. Back to the old days (before my time) of the WOC squad....we could organise 3-6 month programs before major events for those committed to attending...

anyway thats enough from me

Jamie Stewart
Acting National Squad Coaching Co-ordinator.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 4 August 2009, 2:09 AM  
Thanks Val and Jamie
We have a council meeting this Saturday and on the agenda is finance.
To fund and support all teams it would cost about $50k per team We have schools,jwoc and woc so we need $150,000. The money available and the money required are poles apart. Its obvious that the money required cannot come from the small pool of nzof funds.Our sport doesnt get tv coverage so we have nothing to attract sponorship therefore we need to look at other avenues. I have an idea but I will hold back to see if there are any other thoughts. So get your light bulbs working, I think this could lead to something special.
Project---Think of a project that will generate funds for our national teams.
And yes Val, our kids do have awesome talent

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 4 August 2009, 2:14 AM  
ops! I have left our mtbo and rogaine. = more money required

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 August 2009, 3:15 AM  
Jamie and I will give up our Wellington accommodation allowance.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 4 August 2009, 5:02 AM  
Throw in your car allowance and you can probably send the Australian teams as well.
But where will you live Michael - the clearing in the new Aro Valley map?

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 4 August 2009, 7:53 AM  
We dont get TV coverage...so why not sell the TV rights to Orienteering in NZ? A potential money source Im sure. Now that there is 4 major TV networks in this country they are all battling for sports rights for particular events, hence we could use this to the advantage of orienteering...even if one network just buys the rights so the others cant have them! Exposure and money all in one go...if you can prove to the networks that its a good move of course....Use the world games, Jukola etc as examples.

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 4 August 2009, 1:17 PM  
Thanks Tane your getting close
Rob G share market?
Rob C Race 4 horse 5?
Come on you lot keep the ideas coming
Michael they are into double dipping. Will you double dip>

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 4 August 2009, 1:33 PM  
Right
This I think is so very important to our teams going forward we need to resolve the problem we all face. Thank you Val Mick Nick Paul Micjael Jamie and Tane but if we are going to find an answer we need more responce and possabilities. I do have a strong possability and I do think it will work but I will hold back wecanse I will need the full support of all the orienteering community to make it happen. Untill I get more answers it will remain a suprise!!!! Seven replies is not enough----come on this should be a HOT topic

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz