maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

Nationals 2010

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 30 June 2009, 2:08 PM  
Again the clubs website is not functioning as it should so here is the latest update on Nationals 2010 as per the July DOCument.

NATIONALS 2010 UPDATE

For those of you who dont know, our club is hosting the National championships in Central Otago next year over Easter weekend. Just to get you excited, here is a brief description of terrain.

Apr 2 NZ Sprint Roxburgh tailings: a forest sprint! Yes, instead of using traditional urban terrain for sprinting, we will be using the Roxburgh tailings, which are currently forested. The area is flattish with a few small hills and a reasonable amount of subtle contour that you would expect with gold tailings. The forest is mostly open. Run fast!

Planner: Tane Cambridge (really! I'm not 100% certain yet!)

Controller: Bruce McLeod

Apr 3 NZ Middle Bannockburn sluicing: a complex area of gold sluicing and tailings. A lot of history right at your feet, but dont stop to admire it; this is Natioanals! Reasonably steep and very open.

Planner: Bunny Rathbone

Controller: Bruce McLeod

Apr 4 NZ Long Earnscleugh station: A rocky map, a little like Mt Ross. Some reasonably steep gullys. Open and fast running, expect long courses on this map.

Planner and controller: Barrie Foote and TBC

Apr 5 NZ Relays Naseby East: Used last at the Otago champs 2006, being remapped before nationals. Mainly open, on farmland with patches of forest and scrub, and areas of complex contour detail. Good for spectators.

Planner: Nick Mortimer

Controller: Myles Thayer

Next DOCument will contain: information on accommodation. (I will post here also)

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 27 August 2009, 6:14 AM  
NATIONALS 2010 UPDATE
Accommodation for Nationals

Easter weekend in Central Otago will be busy, with Warbirds Over Wanaka taking place as well as Orienteering Nationals. Accommodation may be tight, so it would be wise to book accommodation early. We have booked out Dunstan High School Hostel, which has space for around 60 persons. The cost is $25 per person per night, self service (you cook your own meals). Full facilities available. To book in contact brianbuschl_AT_hotmail.com

Other accommodation options: Alexandra Holiday Park 03 448 8297

Or check these sites:

http://www.tourism.net.nz/region/otago/otago---central-otago/alexandra-and-clyde/accommodation/
http://www.accommodationz.co.nz/alexandra-accommodation.shtml

http://www.aatravel.co.nz/new-zealand/Alexandra_Accommodation.html

Mapping notes.

For Earnscleugh, Stuart Hyslop, our photogrammetry wiz stated Ive never seen so many rocks!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 8 September 2009, 4:39 AM  
Currently $119 flights Auck-Dun (each way) which is reasonably cheap and going fast

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 5 October 2009, 1:45 AM  
In a bit of a rare planning-ahead and booking flights mood at the mo, and wondering if the timing of the sprint and relay is sorted out yet. Or more specifically what's the latest and earliest a nanna-driver should plan on passing through Dunedin airport...

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 5 October 2009, 4:50 AM  
Sprint location is around 2 hours drive from Dunedin Airport, 2 hours from Queenstown. Dont think any times have been sorted yet but think Sprint has to be after 1pm because its good friday? but id say it will be afternoon anyway.

Naseby is approximately 2 hours from Dunedin Airport, 3-4 hours from Queenstown, 2 from Oamaru. Should finish around 1pm like other years if start is 10:30ish?

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 16 November 2009, 3:17 PM  
this seems to still be the only info out about what should be the best nationals for years...

...not even a maptalk listing?

hey Tane, (or others) was thinking about trying to suss a cheap campsite close to the prizegiving to encourage orienteering riff raff to stay at. Any thoughts...

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 18 November 2009, 5:33 AM  
Website is coming. It is functional but not yet been made available so some of the stuff is subject to change.... think the website is: www.madeventz.co.nz/nationals2009 if its not you can be inventive and try and work it out.

Cheapest campsite near by is probably a place where all the orchard workers end up called Frasers Domian(I think...and btw I dont mean Frasers front lawn in Wanaka...). Its off Strode Road, next door to Sam Neils house and Winery Im told, in Earnscleugh, opposite Clyde.

I probably I should be trying to get to to stay in the accomodation provided though???

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 November 2009, 8:44 AM  
You're living in the past Tane.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 18 November 2009, 8:52 AM  
Yeah it appears so...try 2010 instead of 09...

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 18 November 2009, 1:21 PM  
Looks like I could be the only one from my family going. Is there someone I could stay with? Not fussed if they live there or they too have travelled there.

Jamies riff raff sounds fun but maby not...

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 November 2009, 2:46 PM  
and what exactly do you mean by that? :-)

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 18 November 2009, 4:18 PM  
Maybe you need to go back to The Plot Jamie?

Show Profile  GeneO Posted: 20 November 2009, 1:48 PM  
Was just meaning that hanging with the riff raff is always good fun, but just want to see what else is going on first.
;-)

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 20 November 2009, 2:18 PM  
I never knew there was anything except the riff raff.

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 21 November 2009, 3:33 AM  
im in

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 21 November 2009, 6:00 AM  
Right its all up and running now, the website is:

http://www.madeventz.co.nz/nationals2010/default.cfm

With regards to accommodation (some of which I have already mentioned):

There is some organised accommodation for 60 people at the Dunstan High School Hostel. The Hostel is located in Alexandra. Other places to stay can be found on the Nationals website.

Another potential place to stay is:

Fraser Domain
A popular picnic spot which has toilet facilities and a barbecue area. Activities can include swimming, fishing and walking. Situated off the Earnscleugh Road near Clyde. The way to the domain is well signposted.

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz