maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

World Cups - Salo - Finland

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 6 June 2009, 4:52 AM  
Greg Flynn and Todd Oates are racing in the Nordic Champs Long Distance today (the long distance is not a World Cup). The Competitions that are included in the World Cup are the Sprint and the Middle Distance. Chris Forne will join Greg and Todd in the actual World Cup Races.
This is the link to page with startlists, results and online stuff from Salo, Finland:
http://www.noc2009.fi/?sivu=tulokset&head=Results%20and%20Online&alivalikko=66&lang=en
Go The Dudes - Best of skills, Fun and Luck!

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 6 June 2009, 8:38 AM  
Go to : orienteering.is
for write ups on the Nordic Champs Favorites for a warm up for the online coverage!

Show Profile  darren Posted: 6 June 2009, 12:38 PM  
live results going up now. Todd and Greg through 2.9km

Show Profile  kl. Posted: 6 June 2009, 2:01 PM  
Live GPS tracking
http://www.gpsseuranta.net/eindex.php?sivu=tt&id=20

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 6 June 2009, 3:06 PM  
Awesome, once loaded, esp the replay

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 6 June 2009, 3:14 PM  
thanks kl. fun watching some of them get stuck in the green.
Yeah, just click who you want to watch in the replay and let the games begin!

Show Profile  kl. Posted: 6 June 2009, 3:22 PM  
Sorry I didn't post the link earlier (we Finns are good at technology, but poor to advertise what we offer

But now you know the link to the "live GPS" for the next 3 races

Show Profile  kl. Posted: 6 June 2009, 4:53 PM  
since I have started ... here's more
an attempt to "correct" the split times(as if everyone had run the same forking)

http://www.suunnistus.info/sf/browser/showdocs?cust=awanal&subdir=x9

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 7 June 2009, 3:24 AM  
More nice reading from orienteering.is, with team backrounds for the relays and some predictions... one thing for sure, it's going to be one very exciting and close battle between the top nations. A must watch if you are in need of some inspiration!PI

Russia will be dangerous
Open Nordic Championships - prediction
05.06.09 - Jørn Sundby
- If Russia can get through the first leg they will be dangerous, but the short legs in the NOC-relay will suit the French team.
Finland
Must be the main favourite for many on home ground and can field a second team just as strong as the first one&So the main task for Janne Salmi is: How to select the team with the best shape on the day? Tip: Houvila-Ikonen-Föhr

Switzerland
A very talented squad, where four runners should be fighting for the three places. And the two first runners will know they have Hubmann to finish&Tip: Rollier-Merz-Hubmann

France
Was so close to their big big goal at the WOC-relay last year. So the three guys must try one more year. The short legs in the NOC-relay will suit their team! Tip: Gonon-Renard-Gueorgiou

Sweden
The Swedish squad can also send out more than one strong team in the NOC-fight. Sweden has a great tradition for relays and a good finisher in Wingstedt. Tip: Johansson-Öberg-Wingstedt.

Norway
After winning the relays in 2004 and 2005 is has been downhill in the last championships. A strong team, but lacks the power of the other teams and they miss a deadly finisher. Tip: Skarholt-Kaas-Nordberg

Russia
If they can get through the first leg they will be dangerous. Will Novikov finally give the last leg to Khramov? Tip: Tsvtkov-Novikov-Khramov.

---

Relay - tip
1. Russia
2. France
3. Finland
4. Switzerland
5. Sweden
6. Norway

Show Profile  darren Posted: 7 June 2009, 10:21 AM  
Nice shot of big Todd coming down the finish chute.

http://www.noc2009.fi/kuvagalleriat/noc_long/slides/IMG_1037.html

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 7 June 2009, 7:18 PM  
Wow, Russia not so dangerous today, but Sweden just brilliant. Plenty of drama with hardluck stories and mistakes, and some amazing speed breaking 5m/km, 5 min under course estimate. Peter Oberg held under pressure on the last leg for a great win.
Good luck to Todd and Greg for the middle - hope they're feeling fast.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 9 June 2009, 7:53 AM  
For those interested in live coverage it kicks off at about 11am Finnish time or 8pm NZ time on worldofo.com
Greg starts at 12:21 (9:21pm NZT) with Todd 1 min later, followed 1 min later by brit Matt Speake, and 6 mins later by the amazing and young Olav Lundanes. Chris starts at 12:43 (9:43pm NZ) 1 min behind Matt Crane of England.
You'll have to stay up late tho... last mens starter at 10:50pm is Thierry G, and last woman to start at 12:30am is Minna K.

Hope i got the time conversion right !!!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 9 June 2009, 8:04 AM  
Looking forward to it Paul and also hoping those times are right! Great to follow the live GPS eh

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 June 2009, 4:35 AM  
For any of you so called true-blue orienteers who couldn't manage to stay up past your bedtime you missed a fine set of middle races, Juggling a few windows on the comp screen to keep up with every developement takes a good multitasker which i struggled with, but i fugure it's good practice for jwoc and woc watching. Hi Soggy - i noticed you were there! Did you manage to get the radio commentary?

A double Gold for Sweden from Helena Jansson and Peter Oberg along with total domination in the Junior mens and womens must have the Swedes getting ready for a big party after todays sprint!
The very Scandinavian rocky and techical terrain perhaps reminding them of homeground, they're showing great form now so it will be very interesting in the following WC in Norway.
The gps live coverage, although it froze (like our weather at the mo) every now and again was soo cool, the best part was seeing big groups form and then you sore the leader make an error and everyone followed - just like real life orienteering in nz! I must say I was staggered by the amount of big errors being made but at that speed and pressure in that terrain i guess it goes with the territory, kiwi jwoc'ers take note!
There are lots of good reports on the net for any surfers out there, but you can hear from the winners on ultimate o.
http://www.ultimate-orienteering.com/

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 10 June 2009, 11:09 AM  
Yeah I only managed to stay around for the mens race Paul. It was pretty good coverage all around - although I noticed my "live" coverage seemed to be alot behind those that were using it in Europe (maybe 1 - 2 mins) so it was good to keep the WorldofO window open and see others comments. I managed to load the Commentary at the start but it didn't appear to be in English so I didn't bother with it.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 10 June 2009, 12:14 PM  
You'll have to send good vibes and support for our boys without me tonight, my work doesn't understand.

A reality check from some of the runners reminds us that there is bigger and better to come from many as woc is still a couple of months off. The Russians were very tired as their tough selection races were just 5 days ago, and Thierry admitted he was not prepared at all as he is focussing elsewhere!

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz