maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

A complete beginner

Show Profile  Jordan Posted: 13 May 2009, 11:28 AM  
Hey, I know I can go to the Red Kiwi's club and ask - and I very probably will, but I was just wondering what a good way to get into orienteering would be. Like what sort of things would I need (I'm thinking more of maps, compasses that sort of thing, some sort of fitness level....lol) as a beginner, and well, just how to start.
Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 13 May 2009, 12:46 PM  
Hey Jordan

Good on you for asking.

You would be surprised how easy it is to get started. When you go to events you buy maps (find events near to you on the event page on this site). Maps normally cost between $5 - $10.

It is good to have a compass, mainly for a start just to make sure you keep the map the right way up. Often clubs have beginners compasses for people to use. Red Kiwis might.

Apart from that just whatever running gear you have.

Theres lots of information around on the internet, Youtube etc that explains orienteering for beginners. There heaps to learn but you start on more simple courses running around tracks and fences before the navigation gets too complex.

Good luck with it.

Show Profile  mark Posted: 14 May 2009, 12:00 AM  
Red Kiwi's are putting on a free bus for club members to the next event at Smedley (7 June).
So if you were planning on going to that event, it would probably be cheaper to join the club than pay for your own petrol.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 May 2009, 9:48 AM  
The answer to this should simply have been: www.nzorienteering.com and go to "Getting Started". Or the Red Kiwis website and "Getting Started". Or any club website and "Getting Started".

Most clubs have got some sort of material, but mostly it has some drawbacks or is out of date. I would expect the federation to have assembled (and review/update) a set of pages that draws on the best knowledge of what beginners need and how to say it. So that each club can link to it from their own pages, adding local flavour. Coaching? Promotion? Probably sits on the border.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 25 May 2009, 10:52 AM  
I think this belongs under another topic Michael

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 25 May 2009, 11:50 AM  
Michael I worked through the www.nzorienteering.com approach as you suggested. On the top left it reads "whats that" I thought it was quite good. Then followed "orienteering in N Z" again well done. This lead to coming events which lead to maptalk which covers all events. Apart from your suggested name change "getting started" I think its all there for a beginner. Now I want to thow it back to Jordan. Jordan follow the steps and lets know your thoughts.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz