maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Season

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 23 April 2009, 3:57 AM  
Sweet the Auckland Orienteering Season starts this weekend, about time it snows in the south island so they can complain about not being able to hold any events

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 23 April 2009, 4:16 AM  
Its the North Islanders that complain about racing in the snow. We have events all though the winter including the NZ Ski-O champs...so in effect we don't have a season down here.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 23 April 2009, 4:23 AM  
"As we have said 100s of times Nationals later in the year doesn't work for the South Island." (Jenni Adams, 2009)

Is the 'we' all the voices in her head?

Show Profile  addison Posted: 23 April 2009, 4:52 AM  
The disclaimer beneath your post explains everything Greg.

Show Profile  Mike Adams Posted: 23 April 2009, 5:05 AM  
I think the reason why people say it doesn't work for the South Island is that there is the risk of the national being held while there is a howling Southerly which has just come up from Antarctica. Most orienteers in the South Island probably wouldn't have a problem with running in those conditions but it would certainly make for a miserable nationals.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 23 April 2009, 5:32 AM  
And as Nik pointed out in a later post one the big show stoppers is lambing. There was no way for instance we could have used the Carigieburn map, for instance, at Labour Weekend because of lambing. This year we're using it for Canterbury Champs in September and we know there is a risk of snow making it unfair for any NZers attending.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 23 April 2009, 8:07 AM  
Were you feeling a bit bored Greg?

the 'lambing' & 'unpleasant weather' arguments lend themselves towards summer orienteering nationwide.

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 23 April 2009, 8:35 AM  
Whoops, I meant NIers not NZers - where is the edit button? I remember Simon saying it had to be changed because of spammers but is there one at all now?

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 23 April 2009, 9:57 AM  
It's alright Jenni, we all think of the south island (lower case, as apparently that's not an actual place name) as a different country up here in NZ, too.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 23 April 2009, 10:28 AM  
This discussion is based on there being a large number of orienteers who seriously prepare for their sport, is it not? This is a fallacy. How many of you plan your year towards a competition goal? How many of you went for a run today? How many will look at some maps tonight, play some courses in Routegadget, or Catching features?

I think the majority of orienteers, including some in the 2008 squads (where are the 2009 squads?) fit orienteering races into their busy lives where they can. And do bugger-all preparation for it. The evidence is anecdotal of course, but the number who have posted routes in RouteGadget is a pretty good indication. A superb analytical tool which is ignored by 90% of nationals participants.

What of a season in this context? The nationals for many people is just another multi-day, albeit one that (thru its status) attracts a good turnout. For these people, it could be any time of the year, in any relation to other events, according to weather, ovarian cycles of woolly animals, and an artificial year boundary decided by Julius Caesar.

The few serious athletes will set goals (probably outside NZ), work back from those, and select events that suit a progression towards them. There's enough to choose from.

This member has been flagged for insightful and well-reasoned arguments that inform, challenge, amuse and delight readers. Maptalk endorses, supports, sanctions, encourages, verifies and agrees with the comments, opinions, and statements posted by Michael.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 23 April 2009, 11:52 AM  
All before breakfast, except a run cause its not in my plan today.

And no this discussion is based on trying to make orienteering look something that resembles a serious sport, if there were enough to choose from people wouldn't complain, and also because I like to play a game I call "poke the bear"

Show Profile  nick Posted: 23 April 2009, 11:58 AM  
I call bullshit on you Michael. Your argument is chicken & egg.

Its a great read though! And there are kernels of truth... but you reach a jaded and defeatist conclusion - not a good position from which to plan our future.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 23 April 2009, 12:00 PM  
Nice flag though Michael! Well deserved.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 23 April 2009, 12:01 PM  
By which I do not mean to imply that Greg doesn't deserve his. Greg's worked very hard for many years to earn that.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 23 April 2009, 3:37 PM  
it does make me chuckle the view that North islanders don't like/cope with snow....the inference being we are soft pussy's compared to them tough hardened SIslanders - yeah right!! (makings of a good Tui ad here)

and come to think of it, wasn't that guy who climbed Everest First, crossed Antarctica, generally frolicked about in chilly conditions etc from (dare I say it) Akl??? :-)

Show Profile  mark Posted: 24 April 2009, 1:51 AM  
North Islanders are soft pussies, especially Aucklanders.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz