maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

Three Way Tie for First Place

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 15 April 2009, 3:13 PM  
I think the best I see from these discussions is the organisers combining grades if there are less than 3, 4 or 5 people with the exception of the white, yellow, and oldest grade, but I would rather slide down a few places to have bigger fields to run in.

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 15 April 2009, 3:28 PM  
yeah, its a bit like playing 500 with a crappy card player eh Rob - not much sport in it eh??!! :-)

Show Profile  ACW Posted: 15 April 2009, 3:48 PM  
Some of the results from the NZ Long Race lend weight to 10 year spread...
M40's and M45's ran the same course. Paul Ireland M40 was fastest, but the next 4 fastest were all M45's.
M50's and M55's didn't run the same course, but based on km rates, the 3 M55 dead-heaters would have finished 5th= in M50.
In the women it was the W50's and the W45's on the same course. The first 5 W50's were faster than the W45 winner.

It shows that the older groups can foot it with the younger ones, but this is mostly in the M40-50 bracket. I think combining these guys would be a good idea. But doubt it would be very fair in any other age class.

As for ML, I know a few M40's who could give him a good run... Bill Edwards, Rob J(if he graces our forests again), Carsten (next year). It's just that they all decide to do this in a different Class - M21E.

Perhaps the answer is.......... M/W43 and M/W56.. the good old days.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 15 April 2009, 3:56 PM  
If orienteering is going to get to the next level we need to move to 20-year age classes. The next level - a four way tie for first place.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 16 April 2009, 10:01 AM  
I reckon:

"National Champ" titles should only be awarded in the highest grade for each age group eg: M/W21E, not M/W21A... or M/W40A, not M/W40AS.

What is the idea behind calling a grade "A"? Why not just M/W50?

Two grades per age group: Normal and short eg: M40 and M40short. Anyone who wants to run something shorter or easier than that can be combined in an ageless grade which we might call "intermediate" or "social" or something, spread over Red short, Orange Long/Short, maybe yellow? Good to have these for progression, and injury comebacks etc... but I can't see why they should be official competition grades.

Two year age groups up to 20yrs.
Ten year age groups from 40yrs.
20-40yrs = M/W Elite and M/W Open(? - call it whatever)

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 16 April 2009, 11:01 AM  
that is a great idea Nick - nice and simple...i like it :-)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 16 April 2009, 12:08 PM  
Back on the topic...

I reckon:

In conjunction with 20-year age classes, we should time to the nearest quarter-hour.

This message was edited by Michael on 16 April 2009, 8:10 PM

Show Profile  idiot Posted: 16 April 2009, 12:15 PM  
And coffee and cakes should be served to the over 40s at the refreshment controls.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 16 April 2009, 12:26 PM  
Tea would be preferred.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 16 April 2009, 3:25 PM  
Devonshire Teas?

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 17 April 2009, 2:00 AM  
Why not? Nothing like a scone with cream and jam in the belly while running.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz