maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

I'm really looking forward to it but I maintain that:

Show Profile  nick Posted: 31 March 2009, 9:22 AM  
It is incoherent, unstructured, amateurish, obstructive, stupid and counter-productive lunacy that we hold our National Championships in the pre-season, without any build-up competition whatsoever nor any relationship to international championship competition.

There. I said it (again).

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 31 March 2009, 9:43 AM  
Down here we have been running weekly training events in preparation for Nationals on all our sand dune maps. It has been perfect weather and fitted nicely into daylight savings to do it in the evenings. We have (or will have) by then also had 2 OYs. We hope we will be well prepared. We also expect that the Nationals events will be good events, along with QB 3 day, to prepare those heading to WOC and JWOC.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 31 March 2009, 10:13 AM  
yes jenni, 2 OY's! well its all very well organised isn't it?

pffft. orienteers; honestly...

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 March 2009, 10:43 AM  
I vote for nick

Show Profile  darren Posted: 31 March 2009, 1:27 PM  
you have been too busy adventure racing nick, there have been loads of events on!

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 31 March 2009, 1:43 PM  
what is this word 'season' you talk about?

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 31 March 2009, 1:59 PM  
2 OYs plus 5 club events plus Oceanis about 3 months ago and Waitangi weekend 2 months ago. It seems like quite a lot of events to me. More than enough as it's the regular training that's most important, then you only need about 4 or so events.
It's up to you to make there be a build up, there's not much to be done if you don't go to the events that are on.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 31 March 2009, 2:02 PM  
Man I am sick of this easter/nationals bullshit.

Build a bridge and bloody get over it.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 31 March 2009, 2:50 PM  
Whatever Addison, your last "season" was 2006.

I'm with Nick on this one. Yeah the keen ones are gonna create there own season, but it still ain't sensible, logical and coherent.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 31 March 2009, 4:10 PM  
I'm with Addison...changing the structure of the season isnt going to make you any better or less and orienteer. You still have to adapt and approach Nationals in the same fashion if you want to win.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 March 2009, 4:20 PM  
My last season was in 2000 and I'm also sick of this bullshit.

I'm with Addison on this one. The keen ones are gonna continue there debate over the season, but it still doesnt make Neil sensible, logical or coherent.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 31 March 2009, 4:24 PM  
There'll be a fixtures meeting sometime over Easter. Come along and tell the clubs when they should hold their events - I'm sure they'll listen.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 1 April 2009, 1:14 AM  
Just do orienteering amongst all the other stuff in your life, but when you do it, do it bloody hard and fast.

Who wants a whole season of orienteering in NZ anyway...especially with the maps we have around these days ;-)

(and looking at the calender it seems most clubs are providing a build-up with OY's etc as well as many many afterwork events for sprint training....there was an event a day for Feb/March...and yeah add Katoa Po into that mix as well as Waitangi, Oceania etc....)

Show Profile  mark Posted: 1 April 2009, 3:04 AM  
nick is a retard

Show Profile  nick Posted: 1 April 2009, 3:25 AM  
Mate, everyone is sick of it. Its right at the bottom of the too hard basket. Ignore it some more - see if that fixes it.

Plenty of people have adopted an attitude of "making the best of a bad situation", which is laudably pragmatic, but doesn't change the fact that our competition is a dog's breakfast. I note that noone really argues that the competition structure we have is optimal.

Some people have pointed out, quite rightly, that I haven't attend *all* of the *many events* held over the summer. However, I'm sure they will see that my attendance rate has no direct bearing on the issue. In fact, these people are inadvertently arguing in support of my position. Observe: we can successfully hold a good number of large events leading up to an Easter multi-day, therefore, we can easily create a structured summer season building to our national championships. So... really, whats the hold up?

I will keep my eye out for the fixtures meeting, Rob. Thanks (despite your sarcasm). I also undertake that this won't be the last time I express my views on the matter.

On a more positive note, I'm really excited about Nationals this year. Its a shame to have so many quality names missing from elite ranks, but, on the other hand it means its anyones game. It will be very interesting to see who steps up to grab the opportunity.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 1 April 2009, 3:31 AM  
Wow, Mark. Did you think that one up all by yourself? Show your teacher - they might let you out of 4th Form at last.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz