maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

Code of Behaviour and Party.

Show Profile  valerie Posted: 11 January 2009, 3:35 AM  
Yes, Jaimie, I see what you are getting at. But do other codes of sport like, NZ Hockey, Netball, Swimming etc have training camps and have alcohol? I somehow doubt it very much?? Why cant we be the same?
There was a code of behaviour for that trip to Tasmainia but certain members of the touring party that were in their 20's and were travelling as coaches were the downfall of that whole trip and i still think to this day should have been harshly reprimanded. Unfortunately they also were the role models that the younger teenagers on that trip looked up to, and for some years afterwards.
Perhaps because Orienteers are such a serious group of people...well the older ones are generally, that all you younger ones dread that you may become like that, therefore alcohol is what makes the difference....who knows?
Ive just spoken to people who have been involved in training camps for these three codes and the policy is STRICTLY "NO ALCOHOL" at their training camps for their elites and younger up-coming representatives. Those three codes are Rowing, Swimming and Canoe Polo....so why are we any differnt? On one hand we are tlaking about there not being enough funding for our sport and then on the other hand we are saying we should be able to be "allowed a beer after a hard day of training?" If we want peole to take our sport seriously we need to start being more professional.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 11 January 2009, 2:20 PM  
haha I like the being different from older orienteers theory (problem being that I am now becoming an older orienteer).

I am prepared to attend any professionally organised camp run by a coaching structure focussed on abstinence from alcohol, but in the meantime I think I will organise my own training sessions and invite a little clique of people. We need more rivalry in NZ orienteering.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 12 January 2009, 2:54 AM  
Jamie Stewart - the "Jesse Ryder" of NZ Orienteering ...

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 13 January 2009, 7:58 AM  
No - I read in the DomPost that Jesse Ryder was the "Jamie Stewart" of NZ Cricket

Show Profile  Dave Posted: 19 January 2009, 7:48 AM  
Just to wade into this conversation very late in the piece....
I can come from the position of being involved with another national sporting organisation.
We often have different policy depending on the event in question - however the general theme is the same - the consumption of alcohol will not be tolerated by those under the legal drinking age in New Zealand (regardless of where in the world the athletes are)
Those of legal age may consume alcohol if it is with the knowledge/approval of their coach, is not during competition, and does not impair there judgement and/or bring the sport or organisation into disrepute.
I am very aware of how easy and desirable it is to contravene these sort of rules, however with the changes in sport and funding processes being as they are it is very important that the national organisation set a code of behaviour to ensure professionalism from its athletes.
I do note that as an athlete I may have spent a considerable amount of time banned under these rules.
The point cant be this is how we acted in the past so its fine now  but has change with the professionalism of sport.
But dont throw the baby out with the bathwater.. a couple of drinks in the right context really is not going to damage orienteering beyond repair.

Show Profile  Chris Forne Posted: 22 January 2009, 2:49 AM  
I think red wine definitely improves my training ability.

Show Profile  idiot Posted: 22 January 2009, 3:56 AM  
I don't need to think because I am.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz