Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4  

Internet Q&A

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 3 February 2009, 5:33 AM  
http://www.nzorienteering.com/orienteering_in_nz/permanent_courses.htm

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 3 February 2009, 5:49 AM  
Golly, thanks Rog!

Show Profile  magnus Posted: 14 February 2009, 7:09 AM  
Michael -> I can trade you some website creation skills for some mapping skills.

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 14 February 2009, 7:37 AM  
a national route gadget is almost up and running again - the link will be posted here as soon as - just trying to sort out some scripting errors.... This should be in time for Nationals - perhaps some of the maps from the Waitangi 3 might go up to get people back into it - we'll see.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 14 February 2009, 8:04 AM  
Carsten, let me know if you want the 2007&2008 events.

Show Profile  nick Posted: 16 February 2009, 6:58 AM  
I say make the maps available online.

2 issues to be covered in T&C's:

happy landowners:
at the very least, it must be clearly stated that downloading a map does not imply a right of access to private property. we do not want to alienate landowners by implying to the public that they can run on these maps whenever they please... worth carefully considering our approach making private property maps available...

non-commerical use only:
anyone who has the bright idea of running some kind of commercial navigation event using our downloaded maps will need to seek our authorisation and pay the appropriate license fee. or else they get sued. I say, don't get hung up on IP. Yes, protecting the IP in our maps is valuable against commercial operators (ie: potential competitors), but not against school kids, mum's & dad's, individual athletes, etc... because what do we *lose* if, for eg: Aaron Dashmore downloads a map to go O training in Auckland Domain?

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 17 February 2009, 4:58 AM  
If the maps are be made freely available for downloading then text stating:
1. map does not imply a right of access to private property
2. map cannot be used for commercial purposes, etc

MUST be written in LARGE text (bit like a nag screen on shareware software).

You should also have a contact address so end-users who want to use the map for other purposes can negotiate with the respective Club

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 17 February 2009, 8:51 AM  
What about having maps available for those maps that can be accessed to public easily, i.e. parks, forests with no access restrictions etc. These maps can be made readily available. There should be hundreds of these maps around New Zealand so printing them off shouldn't be an issue.

Maps where there is access restrictions, i.e. private farmland etc etc shouldn't be made available.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 17 February 2009, 1:18 PM  
I am perhaps a bit more reserved about IP than most of you guys!

Whilst I do put quite a bit of time into orienteering, I want to see that 'orienteering' as a sport reaps the rewards of my hard work. Having them completely free online, only makes for no contact and therefore no ability for us to reap any reward.

At least by individuals contacting you, you can then get them on email lists etc. It isn't all about participation for me. What it is is about being smart, utilising our assets to their best potential and increasing participation overall at events etc via having contacts and stuff.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 February 2009, 4:12 PM  
As a result of this discussion, it's clear that there are maps we might usefully give away and maps we might not wish to. That's very helpful thanks.

Now to attempt to have a single policy on which is which is completely fruitless because there will never be agreement and clubs which own the maps will make up their own minds on that. The discussion is useful, but there doesn't NEED to be agreement on where to draw the line.

So now we can move on with the practical questions. Do we need a central repository for the give-away maps or will we just stick them on our club websites? What are the technical issues here - format, an index to let people find one, any warnings etc.

Then the advice I previously sought for the no-give-away maps - how to put them on the web in a viewable form without it being possible to print a decent copy. A Routegadget service (as well as being hugely valuable for itself) might neatly be the answer for this question too.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 February 2009, 12:41 AM  
What do people think about a site like Shauns lactic turkey run register?

see this link: http://lacticturkey.co.nz/RunRegisterHome.htm

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 18 February 2009, 12:57 AM  
"IMO its the sort of thing that NZOF should fund under coaching, since its a learning tool as well as entertainment" (MJW, 2 Feb)

As Carsten said above, RouteGadget is about to be re-launched; for Michael's benefit it is being funded by NZOF's coaching budget - at least until the AGM.

On this whole topic, how Orienteering utilises technology/internet is on my project to-do list for this year where these (and other ideas e.g. online entry system) can be thrown into the melting pot.

Show Profile  marcusd Posted: 18 February 2009, 1:52 AM  
Jamie - yep, I agree a template like the Lactic Turkey run register it a very good place to start. Maybe we should ask Shaun how it was set up and how to set one up for O maps. Shouldnt be that difficult and the maps could be put up in pdf format I would assume.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 February 2009, 2:06 AM  
awesome that RouteGadget is being relaunched. It'll be a great asset for post race analysis. but i guess if the event levies are decreased this will be one of the first initiatives to get the chop. stink.

Show Profile  The Map Guy Posted: 18 February 2009, 11:03 AM  
The simplest way to have downloadable maps for anybody to use is have them in PDF format (really need OCAD9+) to generate them. If maps are printed at 100% then they are true to scale (provided they were generated at the right scale). Joe/Jane Public can print them on their own printer. We may have to tone the yellow down a bit if it is a Park map.

Once these maps are released to the public we lose control of them. I've known of a school using a map I drew over 20 years ago. The "original" had been totally refieldworked once, and redrawn twice (once by hand, and then converted into OCAD). It has had over 100 updates since then - yet the school persisted with the old map - in spite of offers of the new version (might have cost them some money). They were happy photocopying and using an old out of date map.

I question the value of what they were trying to achieve.

1   2   3   4  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz