maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Road Bikes

Show Profile  JD Posted: 11 October 2008, 3:13 AM  
Hey
I was thinking about getting a road bike for some cross training, and possibly some races.
Can anyone give me any tips, what to look for in buying, brands etc. Just any helpful information really. Probably going to get one off trade me in the 500-1000 bracketish.
Also I don't have a clue about size, I'm 5'8 so I think I should be a 56ish??
Any info would be great
Cheers
Jourdan

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 11 October 2008, 12:31 PM  
Hi Jourdan - 56cm sounds a little big for you, and I'd have thought around a 52-54ish would be more ideal. In that price range any of the big brands would be fine (Giant, Trek, Scott, Specialized etc), and main thing to check are the type and condition of the components, especially wheels. Ideally the wheels should be a good brand such as Shimano, Mavic, or American Classic (theres others, but these are the most popular), and in fact the wheels are the bit that will affect the performance of the bike more than any of the other components (apart from the engine!), so make sure they are straight and true. I spotted this one on Trade Me tonight as a good example of a good buy - http://www.trademe.co.nz/Sports/Cycling/Road-bikes/Medium-53-56cm/auction-180141085.htm,

You'll see it says 50cm, but thats because its a compact frame, and should still be about right for you.

Good luck!

Cheers

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz