maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Waterproof Paper

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 10 October 2008, 2:39 AM  
At Auckland's OY9 last Sunday we offered Red-1 and Red-2 courses an option to use OKI Durapaper on A3. I got favourable comments from one or two people afterwards. Am keen to hear any further comments about how the paper stood up to the environment and repeated folding. Paper cost is about 75c for A4 and $1.60 for A3.

Show Profile  Selwyn Posted: 10 October 2008, 2:59 AM  
The OKI Durapaper can be torn reasonably easily at the edges, but not easily in the middle. I used some for some one-off designed clip cards earlier this year, punched a hole at a corner for a rubber band to hold the card around the childrens' wrists. A really strong tug on the rubber band could tear the paper.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 10 October 2008, 3:55 AM  
Its crap, stick to normal paper and a plastic bag.

The waterproof stuff has been trialled before overseas, worst experience was a world cup in Switzerland in the poring rain, mud stained the paper and you could not read it.

It also stretches when put under stress, my map from Sunday has several areas were the map is all distorted due to sticks and is hard to read, but amazingly I have never had many problems with sticks causing holes in normal paper (altho I don't treat my map like a rag doll unlike Neil)

Show Profile  Greig Posted: 10 October 2008, 7:43 AM  
The Australian Rogaine champs used waterproof paper for the map this year and it seemed to hold up pretty well. The printing didn't wear off like some waterproof maps do. It might be worth looking into if you want to continue and try and find the best type of waterproof paper.

I didn't do any swimming with the map though so it wasn't an extensive test.

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 10 October 2008, 8:50 AM  
The Aussie Champs Carnival this year, used some type of waterproof paper, dont know which one, but Eric Andrews, (Carnival Director) checked out quite a few in his look for what could work.
I asked Zaket (Printers of this years World Champs and O-Ringen maps) what they used, "For waterproof material we recommend Tyvec 75g/m2 from DuPont (no possibility to damage it or Pretex 53.120 (good durability of printing in wet conditions)"
Best I seen a few years ago, went through the washing machine, and could still be used

Show Profile  Jenni Posted: 10 October 2008, 12:25 PM  
Two out of three of the races I ran in Europe when I was there
a month ago were on waterproof paper but I also don't know which type. I didn't have any problems with them although I noticed afterwards there was probably a bit lost on the creases but didn't notice at the time. (And one of the races was one of the most missionish orienteering courses I've done for a long while - 90 minutes of struggling through headhigh bracken in the Lake District so I think that was probably one of the hardest tests you could put a map through (and the paper handled it a lot better than my body)).

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 10 October 2008, 1:37 PM  
Hi Selwyn - I've got some of the Oz champs maps for you to look at if you want - didn't get wet, but did still seem pretty durable nonetheless, and no distortions like Greg mentions...

Show Profile  ML Posted: 12 October 2008, 11:50 AM  
Hi Selwyn. Last Sundays map stood up really well to some pretty harsh treatment - 95mins crashing around on the coastal strip. I used it again today for an hours training then put it through the washing machine with my dirty O gear and it didnt affect it at all, just washed the blood off. There is no sign of the print coming off, no holes and no stretching or distortion.
Also because you dont have to look at it through a plastic bag its easier to read

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 13 October 2008, 5:14 AM  
To be helpful, reports from elsewhere need to specify the paper as Selwyn has done, rather than lump everything under "waterproof stuff". And also the printing method; papers which can be used for offset printing cannot necessarily be used in laser printers which are used for most of our maps.

The paper used for the Australian Champs recently, I'm pretty sure via laser printing, was Teslin. They performed very well without plastic bags, but I would bet that none of them saw a drop of water in action, except from a sweaty brow. I talked to Eric Andrews who handled the printing and it was a special import into Australia. He had some problems with delivery, and when the printer cut the large sheets it comes in, into A4's, the slight bending caused by the guillotine meant the A4s stuck together and wouldn't feed properly. He (I'm not sure why he) spent many hours disengaging the sheets.

Teslin was also used in a laser printer for the 2002 APOC in Canada, but again the weather was 100% dry. I asked our printer about it, but it was going to be too expensive at that time. (Can't remember exactly how much.)

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 13 October 2008, 1:18 PM  
I like waterproof paper. Map bags suck and I invariably get a hole in them anyway, which means if it's wet you lose bits of the map rather than just bits of ink.

Show Profile  Keith Posted: 13 October 2008, 7:44 PM  
There was a big article in "Compass Sport" in the Feb 08 edition, which was an excellent review of different papers etc.

Personally I donät like water proof paper at all. Much prefer paper map in bag, for reaseons already stated.
Intrestingly in UK now nearly all maps are printed on waterproof paper (> 90% major events). But currently I'm in Sweden and nearly everything is paper map in bag

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 15 October 2008, 9:40 AM  
The best test of Sundays waterproof paper was probably my terrible run. For 2hrs 56mins I tested the map in areas never seen before.The map was great---not so sure about the head!!

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz