maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

World Rogaine Champs

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 5 September 2008, 1:37 PM  
Rogainers are starting to gather in Estonia for the 8th World Championship on 13-14 Sep. There are 30 kiwis, including the titleholders Chris Forne and Dennis de Monchy. Two-time winner Greg Barbour will also be there with his Australian partner David Rowlands. There are 800 people altogether, and the final bulletin is on the website 8wrc2008.rogain.ee Note that "rogain" doesn't have an e.

Show Profile  "John Doe" Posted: 13 September 2008, 3:14 PM  
A pre race report and "after start report" has been posted by the organisers to http://www.sleepmonsters.com.au/racereport.php?race_id=4783 and I think it can be assumed that they will continue reporting there during the race.

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 14 September 2008, 1:05 PM  
Well, now they should have finish if they are going to make it without penalty points - it will be exciting to see who will be on top in this swimming rogaine - at least that is what is sounds like on their web page - and it also sounds like it might be hard to survive this thing as there seem to be quite a few hazards in the hazard list - hu ha - yes one has to resort to reading other info when there is nothing else available for an info junkie... still waiting for the exciting news to arrive on a website reachable from the world we live in

Show Profile  "John Doe" Posted: 14 September 2008, 5:02 PM  
http://8wrc2008.rogain.ee/failid/resultstable.htm

Results are up here New Zealanders Chris Forne and Dennis de Monchy finished in second place four points behind the Russian winners Evgeny Dombrovskiy M-33 RUS and Pavel Shestakov M-22 RUS. Dennis and Chris were well clear of third place.

After winning in 2006 this is Chris Forne's second second place at WRC, the other was in the New Zealand WRC.

A Russian Team won the Mixed with a youngish Latvian Team finishing in second place.

Greg Barbour of NZ with his Australian Team mate of David Rowlands finished a narrow 2 pints behind the winners of the Mens Veteran class.

Womens was won by a Latvian team who also won the womens veteran class this was the narrowest reslut for the open categories with on ly two points seperating first and second.

9WRC 2010 will also be held in Europe either Czech Republic or Ukraine.

Alan Mansfield
IRF Development and Promotion Officer

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 15 September 2008, 1:20 AM  
Looks like Georgia Whitla and Timothy Farrant have taken out the mixed junior class, their score is good enough for 2nd place in the junior males as well.

This message was edited by Greg on 15 September 2008, 9:30 AM

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 15 September 2008, 4:20 AM  
Well done to all the Kiwi participants - excellent results.

Nice of the IRF to simply announce the 2010 World Champs for Europe, despite clear interest and substantial background work done for an NZ bid, and it being the Southern Hemisphere's turn.

I have lost faith in the IRF. Consequently, I won't be participating in any further "World Champs" Rogaines until the IRF becomes a properly constituted, internaitonal, democratic and transparent organisation.

(Not that my absence will have any noticeable effect)

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 15 September 2008, 12:30 PM  
A sport named after ROger GAIl and NEil surely doesnt need to have any of the above qualities, we are in the age of marketing and markets not consensual organisation.

For good examples see the world champs in multisport and adventure racing, not to mention motor-racing and cricket.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 17 September 2008, 2:31 AM  
Not sure if you are taking the piss Jamie...

But if not, you're probably right. I think I will set up a new Rogaining Org called the MRF (Mark Rogaining Fed) and establish my own World Champs - like Jeff and Pascale did for the AR "Champs".

Equally as valid as the self-appointed IRF I would say.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 September 2008, 7:09 PM  
You may be right about some of the qualities of the IRF, Old Timer, but not about the next world champs. A NZ bid would have been welcomed in the interests of rotation round the world, but after a preferred venue turned out not to be possible, work on other possibilities has ground to a halt. Would you like to put your hand up to do some of the scoping work for a future bid?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 17 September 2008, 7:15 PM  
The feat of Tim and Georgia is certainly worthy of notice. You might be interested to know that Tim travelled through BC on his way over to Estonia, and a week ahead of the world champs did another 24-hour rogaine near Kamloops. Not only that, but with a female partner he had never seen before they won the event outright! Simon, a place in Maptalk photos for Tim, please!

The other NZ title was not exactly a surprise but the amazing thing is, how long can "The Oldies" keep winning the Mixed Super-veteran class? Like Tim and Georgia, The Oldies are from Canterbury: Pete Squires, Anne and Bill Kennedy.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 September 2008, 3:11 PM  
I thought old timers idea was the hot favourite, but maybe I lost touch???

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 19 September 2008, 12:09 AM  
1st WRC - Beechworth Australia 1992
2nd WRC - Mt Singleton Australia 1996
3rd WRC - Kamloops Canada 1998
4th WRC - Christchurch New Zealand 2000
5th WRC - Czech Republic 2002
6th WRC - Arizona USA 2004
7th WRC - Australia 2006
8th WRC - Estonia 2008

http://www.rogaining.com/p7_wrc.html

So 4 times out of 8 in Australia/New Zealand. I think it would be hard to convince other countries that NZ should have another turn. Maybe in 2 or 4 years time.

If you total up the medalists from all the champs, New Zealand has a pretty good record.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 19 September 2008, 3:59 AM  
There's a lot of background politics here Bryan that you may be unaware of...

Like Aussie having had x3 World Champs already...

Like the IRF "agreement" that the Champs would alternate Nthn/Sthn Hemisphere every two years...(?)

Like the announcement from nowhere that next World Champs will be back in Eastern Europe...

Like that will make it x3 Champs in Eastern Europe in 8 years!!

Like its very expensive for NZers to travel to and compete in Eastern Europe as opposed to the Sthn Hemisphere...

Like some key Rogaine organisers in NZ have lost faith in the IRF, as have some key Rogaine folk in Aussie (for many years now)...

But who really cares. Rogaines in NZ are going well, with the likes of Lactic Turkey, MadEventz, Michael Wood et al leading the charge. Stuff the international shenanagins.

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 19 September 2008, 4:03 AM  
Oh...and one last comment.

I wish all partticpants well for the next East European Rogaine Champs in 2010 - oops I mean the next World Rogaine Champs!

(Latvians and Russians made up 75% of the field at the recent "World" Champs(!)).

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 19 September 2008, 4:07 AM  
And how many New Zealander's and Australians made up the "World" Rogaine Champs in Nelson and NSW? Try to stay a little realistic with regards to your "sport".

Show Profile  Old Timer Posted: 20 September 2008, 8:23 AM  
What World Rogaine Champs in Nelson? Another "Worlds" I hadn't heard of!!

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz