maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

SI-card 6 order

Show Profile  JD Posted: 5 August 2008, 11:26 AM  
Hey
I'm going to order an SI-card 6
Would anyone else like to order at the same time to save on shipping?

Jourdan

Show Profile  Ellmo1769 Posted: 5 August 2008, 11:45 AM  
Yes

Show Profile  thomasr Posted: 5 August 2008, 1:24 PM  
where are you getting them from? sportident or some other website?

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 5 August 2008, 2:23 PM  
try the American guy http://orienteer.com/si/sosi.htm

the type-9 is a bit cheaper

Show Profile  JD Posted: 5 August 2008, 2:37 PM  
Was going to get the from sport ident, but i guess i'll get them from http://orienteer.com/si/sosi.htm and probs get the si 9 now.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 5 August 2008, 2:42 PM  
The SI 9 will not work with all of the SI boxes in NZ

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 6 August 2008, 12:04 AM  
if the boxes in nz have the latest firmware update they should work

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 6 August 2008, 12:10 AM  
by the way, Joe from that website has said to us that the SI-5 cards are no longer being manufactured and SI-9 will become the "standard" when stocks of SI-5s are all sold.

Yep - get those older Control boxes upgraded.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 6 August 2008, 1:35 AM  
I believe that the older boxes can not be updated, which are still used in NZ (and Oz for that matter)

For practicality, until all old boxes are phased out (everywhere) and SI has reached their goal of getting everyone to buy their latest products, I would go for the 6, only difference being 15ms slower and a little bit more expensive

Show Profile  JD Posted: 6 August 2008, 2:02 AM  
from that american guy by the sounds of things

Show Profile  addison Posted: 6 August 2008, 3:38 AM  
The other advantage with 6 from what I believe is that they store more controls on them and that they have more personal information on them?

It probably isn't worth the hassle of getting a SI-9 yet as Greg said.

Show Profile  Billinwgtn Posted: 6 August 2008, 9:38 AM  
see http://www.attackpoint.org/discussionthread.jsp/message_182250 for a discussion....

my two cents worth is that you should still consider getting a SI-5 unless you are an elite where minimising your time at a control is absolutely essential for your performance

There are several sources of SI-5 cards for purchase in NZ - and although being phased out from manufacture after this year, the SI-5s are compatible with all controls for the indefinite future .... and significantly cheaper....

The SI-9s cause issues in many countries (with older controls) - but are supposed to become the 'standard' cards over time...

(shades of Microsoft in the SportIdent product development - a piece of plastic with a chip worth about $1.... selling for 50 times that much - and superceded by one or more variants selling for about 80 times that much.)

Show Profile  JD Posted: 6 August 2008, 11:21 AM  
well looks like the 6, although i would still have my 5 if need be so could get the 9

Show Profile  Billinwgtn Posted: 6 August 2008, 11:34 AM  
Send Joe (Scarborough Orienteering) an email asking on price & availability of both the SI-6 and SI-9 the postage shouldn't be much .... email addr for Joe is joe@orienteer.com

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 7 August 2008, 9:18 AM  
Yeah I'm keen I've got SI stick..

Show Profile  SJ Posted: 7 August 2008, 9:18 AM  
Yeah I'm keen I've got no SI stick..

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz