maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

mtbo in europe

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 26 July 2008, 9:00 PM  
Marquita is up to 7th in the world rankings, having had 2 2nds, a 3rd and a 13th in the 4 wre events in Europe. many of the top competitors are here as these are part of a 7 day event on very similar terrain to WOC.
Aussie Adrian Jackson has been on fire winning all wres and is now no 1, so a big chance to get another gold to go with his 2004 middle win.

Woc is from 24th till 31st August

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 29 July 2008, 3:28 AM  
The webpage for the MTB-O World Ranking Events is here:
http://www.wgl.pl/domeny/mtbo-pl/wre/index.html

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 August 2008, 3:22 PM  
Most of the NZ MTBO team came together in Poland yesterday and today they are off training with the Aussies and the Russians. All are well but some of the bikes need some attention after the bruising they get from air travel. You get that awful sinking feeling when you see it come out on teh conveyor instead of at the oversize door...

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 August 2008, 9:49 AM  
Chris Forne bent a derailleur hanger yesterday - off-track is allowed here and is often done but with a risk to your bike. However we have found a very good bike mechanic in Olsztyn 20min from the training area and at 5pm they got onto the job, pirated a bike on the shop floor, and ordered more. Very helpful. Greg Barbour (who lives in Moscow) arrives tomorrow.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 24 August 2008, 10:15 AM  
The final bulletin contained a real surprise - the sprint maps are going to use the sprint-mapping specification - the one for foot-o. For MTB-orienteers who are not regular footies this is a bit like saying yellow and green have been reversed!

From what we can tell the area is based on an institution with a stadium and track, and in the middle of the course there's going to be a circuit of the track and map change. We're expecting a lot of paved surface and hoping it won't be wet...

Show Profile  pete s Posted: 24 August 2008, 1:42 PM  
Good luck guys! We'll be cheering for you all from over here!!

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 25 August 2008, 2:55 AM  
The link to the World MTB-O Champs website:

http://www.wgl.pl/domeny/mtbo-pl/woc.htm

where the sprint startlist haven't appeared yet - but they should be available soon, I would suspect!

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 26 August 2008, 12:13 AM  
Marquita 4th!!!

http://ozmtboteam.socialfx.net/

Sounds like Chris had a michanical. Don't know what happened to Georgia yet.

Show Profile  Marquita G Posted: 26 August 2008, 12:47 AM  
Yep, 4th again! Awesome race - exactly the same as a foot-o sprint on a 1:5,000 map of a campus area. Bloody difficult as your speed is so fast on the bike. I made a 1 min error on a nasty control which was inside a tennis court fence rather than outside it as I expected. Got caught by the eventual winner at that point which was helpful to get through the next couple of controls until I settled down again.

Chris blew a tyre at the first control so ran around the first loop. As he entered the arena towards the map change he swapped wheels with Greg who had already finished. Technically he should be disqualified for this but so far he hasn't been and ended up 45th. Greg was 49th.

Georgia did a Ross - seems like the SI unit didn't register her punch as she is adamant that she went to the control. She was flying too, heading for 6th and in fact dragged the 6th placed Russian around most of the course. Emily was 36th I think, quite happy with her ride. Kath mispunched, possibly missing out a control.

Great to have a big group of masters cheering us on. Rob was 6th in M50, Michael W won M60, Dave King won M40.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 26 August 2008, 11:28 AM  
Start looking at campus terrain with bikes in mind. The navigation on a bike is so intense that distance almost doesnt matter, one course would suit a wide variety of physical abilities. Reminds me of an Auckland short+o zears ago before MTBO had started, which I rode because I had an injury. Carrington Hospital and Polytech.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 26 August 2008, 12:48 PM  
Great stuff guys! Am holding back the mag to get your excellent results in...keep it up!

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 26 August 2008, 2:48 PM  
Looks like a 5th for Marquita in the middle - awesome! not all results in yet though and mens still to come

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 26 August 2008, 3:10 PM  
chris has just passed the radio control in 7th place

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 26 August 2008, 3:29 PM  
chris has finished in 6th place - but there might be a couple of fast ones in the last start group - we'll see - (tomorrow because it is bedtime for me now!)

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 26 August 2008, 4:58 PM  
thirteenth i think, adrian jackson did well

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 27 August 2008, 2:51 AM  
Great stuff - 5th Marquita and 13th Chris! And more racing to look forward to...
My pick for the mens relay would be Russia and the womens Czech Republic. And for the long Marquita and Chris of course, although Adrian Jackson does seem to be in good form.

1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz