maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5  

World University Orienteering Champs 2008 - Estonia

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 26 July 2008, 9:24 AM  
Matin Peat is representing New Zealand at next weeks World University Orienteering Champs in Estonia. Results and other news can be found here:

http://www.easl.ee/wuoc2008/

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 30 July 2008, 5:40 AM  
yep, now the startlist is up at the homepage with a first start at 10.00 am -> 8 pm and Martin starting 11.08

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 30 July 2008, 12:35 PM  
Well it is all over and done with on the sprint - have to admit that Estonia is an hour ahead of mideurope - Martin ended up in 54 place 2 and a half minutes behind. If Martin sees this it would be good with a comment on how it was. Yep Good luck on the next distances!

Show Profile  addison Posted: 30 July 2008, 3:15 PM  
54th is a great effort.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 30 July 2008, 5:09 PM  
Fun race, just not quick enough and felt sluggish. I was caught 1min by an estonia half way around and couldn't stick with him. The terrain was pretty open parkland. The event centre was a large concert stadium, like the bowl of brooklands (?) in taranaki, but with terraced seating. the start was around the back of the stadium and the first control involved traversing all the stairs! spectator control on the stage. middle park of the course went out around park area similar to nz champs sprint with lots of patches of trees and green vegetation. lost a little time here. the last control was under a bridge and quite alot of people didnt read their descriptions and went on top of the bridge (including Jasmine Neve, Aus).

the competition is pretty hot with quite a few people backing up from the world cup races last week and also from WOC.

looking forward to the next races, although the long distance will be challenging. not looking forward to the stinging nettles!

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 31 July 2008, 4:11 AM  
Well done, Martin!
And good luck for the long distance - there shouldn't be too many stinging nettles left now that you start as number 54. (and the european stinging nettles are quite weak compared to real onga onga stuff).
Seems like another 20 people has arrived now with over 90 people on the startlist.
Startlists and live results/comment is available here:
http://www.easl.ee/wuoc2008/
Remember they are only 9 hours behind in Estonia.

Show Profile  Norm Posted: 31 July 2008, 10:09 AM  
Nice pic of Martin, ...the flag bearer:
http://www.easl.ee/wuoc2008/photos/opening/slides/HJP_0035.html

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:04 PM  
Go Martin, 39th so far at the first Radio
Two guys immediately ahead of him just picked up around 10 places,- maybe the high undergrowth is better for late starters?

Show Profile  Paul Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:30 PM  
At 2nd Radio Martin now 42nd so far as later starters come through field. He's holding well through 2nd stage going faster there than Aussies Murray S and Evan B who are ahead/behind him respectively

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:36 PM  
Its all happening up at the front: Ewan Mccarthy (UK)
takes the lead in first radio off Tomas Dlabaja (CZE)who had been leading well.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:44 PM  

Now at the 2nd Radio Ewen has dropped 1 1/2 mins to 3rd behind Tomas Dlabaja and Michal Krajcik (SVK)
Now Vesa Taanila (FIN)is in 2nd at 1st radio only 11 seconds down, just waiting for him to show at 2nd radio.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:48 PM  
Yury Masnyy (RUS)
is running furiously, takes lead by almost a minute in first radio!

Very good times from late starters
Jonas Vytautas Gvildys (LTU) takes 2nd and Markus Puusepp (EST) takes 4th place in 1st radio

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:49 PM  
Anyone at home???

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:53 PM  

Michal Smola (CZE)todays favourite has taken a big lead in first radio. He has cought up with Edgars Bertuks(LAT).

Yo - Where are you Martin? Stop looking at the girls

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 1:57 PM  
Quote of the day so far....Per Harald Havnen Johansen (NOR)
is the most tired finisher so far. He has been laying in the finish coridor for minutes. Vital signs are there, but exhaustion is prevailing.

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 31 July 2008, 2:01 PM  
Still waiting in anticipation at the 3rd radio.... hopefully Martin was going so fast they missed him!

1   2   3   4   5  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz