maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Adventure Race in Ireland

Show Profile  simonr Posted: 18 June 2008, 1:16 PM  
For those that are interested there is an adventure race on in the South West of Ireland at the moment as part of the Adventure Racing World Series. The website is www.theturas.com. There is livetracking so you can follow the race as it happens.
So far they have done a kayak leg including a 3.5km portage, a 100k mountain bike leg, and as I write they are into a 60k trek.
A French team is in the lead, but they haven't slept yet and are followed about 2 hours behind by three teams with NZers in them all of whom had a couple of hours sleep at the last transition; Wilsa Helly Hansen which has Marcel Hagener, Team Orion which has the guys who won the recent NZ Rogaine Champs, and the Richard Ussher led Adventure Sport NZ.
The livetracking is quite addictive - I will probably just leave it going on my computer for the next few days

Show Profile  rob.g Posted: 18 June 2008, 4:05 PM  
See www.sleepmonsters.com.au and www.sportzhub.co.nz for lots of stories.

Seems a crazy decision to have no time gain for the first 2 days of racing, and some really early cutoffs. Probably Geoff Hunt's influence.

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 19 June 2008, 8:49 AM  
I can't believe that I thought this thread was going to be a joke. A xenophobic joke too.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 June 2008, 1:27 PM  
Great entertainment just reading the placenames, some good inspiration for map names here. MacGillicuddy Reeks. Hag's Teeth. Moll's Gap...

But great racing Orion hope you can keep it together for a couple more hours. (Maybe that sprint at Taupo has sharpened your speed.)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 June 2008, 1:34 PM  
PS I ran on a map in Victoria called Borhoney Gurk (or similar). Thought it was a joke, but there were real-looking road signs. You don't think they would have gone to THAT extent do you???

PPS Can anyone find the team info, the "Teams" section promises a lot but I can't see links to the actual team composition.

Show Profile  darren Posted: 20 June 2008, 2:46 PM  
Looks like the Orion crew are on their way to the finish line and a comfortable win. Well done guys! I think your right Michael, the sprint in Taupo would definitely be paying off now. At least for Brent and Stu!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 June 2008, 4:02 PM  
Congratulations OrionHealth!

Hey remember when the "leaderboard" was the beesknees in keeping up with progress? Its Google Maps/Earth that is most uptodate now, guess it runs without human input, the leaderboard is way behind. Guess there wasn't much forest to get in the way of the signals, probably wouldn't be so good in NZ bush. Are we having competitor tracking at WOC or JWOC this year?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 June 2008, 4:11 PM  
PS some ideas for a simple form of competitor tracking that I'm chewing over for urban rogaines like the Safari. Teams text in their scores, at controls or at certain times. Issues to solve (a) handling lots of texts and displaying results (b) incentive for teams to do it, they may prefer progress NOT to be known.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 21 June 2008, 1:23 AM  
You could always get vodaphone or something to come onboard. They have some gears which use GPS tracking as well as utilising cell ph towers.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz