maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Some ideas re results and "commentary'

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 June 2008, 7:21 AM  
Was just thinking the other day about with the onset of SI how the atmosphere at the results board has dulled. No more tension in the air as times (or dsqs) are written up, no more lists of who is yet to come in...we now instantly know lots about our own performance and the results amongst our peer groups, but with the extra emphasis on self and peer review we have become even more introverted and cliqued than we ever were (and not just elites)...by contrast the results board experience has diminished, the updates if anything are slower and there has been no evolution in the information available...

so some ideas...

1)results to include complete list of competitors and start times
2) perhaps an extra column for unfinished competitors of what time they have to get back to beat the winner
3) a clock with official race time at the results board
4) maps of all courses at the results board after last start
5) results board sited adjacent to finish shute to encourage active spectating and support of club members.
6) results to be updated every 10 minutes.

Yep it'll cost some extra paper, but I reckon it'd add to the experience and recreate some of that unoffical commentary that we used to have while waiting for people to come in.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 3 June 2008, 8:10 AM  
I've got a few ideas in mind for commentary and results but the hardware for radio controls isn't available at the moment, should be some innovations coming up in the next year.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 4 June 2008, 6:00 AM  
I can't quite follow how electronic timing has reduced the finish atmosphere Jamie? But I agree that the creation of atmosphere is really important and you make some good suggestions. Somebody recently said to me that the best thing for atmosphere is to have nice sunny weather...

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 4 June 2008, 8:38 AM  
Surely its possible to have a crappy old computer monitor (im sure theres tonnes of them around) hooked up to the official results and just have them automatically feed and updated in real time. Cant be too hard to program something like that either... can it?......seeing as there is a whole heap of orienteering computer geeks out there it should be easy!

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 4 June 2008, 1:44 PM  
GOOD POINT TANE, WHATEVER HAPPENED TO PAPERLESS OFFICES BY 2010?

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz