maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

QB

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 3 June 2008, 4:26 AM  
Hey just wanted to thank the organisers of the QB weekend. I thought it was a great event with great maps and generally pretty good course setting.It was great to do an event where the course planners were brave enough to use some hard control sites.

Shame about the muck up on day 2 with the numbers switched but thats one of those mistakes that happens now and again. As discussed after the event with some I see less value in protesting this kind of mistake than what I think of as structural mistakes like poor mapping or control placement. For the record the control placement in this invalidated event was superb.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 3 June 2008, 1:06 PM  
...some hard control sites. I don't know what your first leg was like on day 2 Jamie but they missed a great opportunity on C4 to have a short leg in the detailed stuff in the first block, heh heh. Did anyone get a short sharp leg there?

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 3 June 2008, 2:04 PM  
Yeah I agree with both of you, a good weekend with some good events. Although 3 classic races, a sprint and a party is a tough format for us old elites aye.

I also was surprised we didn't have a short leg on day 2 but chose to run accross the detail to a track. On the whole though, it was good to see a classic course setter that wasn't afraid to have long legs and route choice on planation block forests.

With regards to hard control sites, I'm dissapointed that you should say this Jamie as I feel that striving for "hard control sites" is what inexperienced course setters do to make unfair/bingo and boring courses. The control sites should be clear but the leg should be hard. The navigation to the control feature should be the difficult bit not searching for the control...especially in classic distances.

In no way reflecting on last weekend I think the clubs needs to have coaching weekends in setting. Just like it is hard to learn to navigate for the athlete, it is hard to learn to set good orienteering courses without knowlegeable advice and feedback.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 4 June 2008, 5:37 AM  
yep appreciate the point Neil and you're right, except on that kind of terrain there is a need to use smaller control sites to create some technical difficulty. And this was done well.

3 classic races, a sprint and a party is a tough format for us lazy old elites.

Show Profile  JD Posted: 4 June 2008, 11:33 AM  
Any chance of seeing some splits on winsplits?

Show Profile  ole codger Posted: 5 June 2008, 12:42 AM  
Generally good courses. The best part was that they all flowed the same direction. Never saw any orienteer coming from the opposite direction to give away control sites, a method lazy course setters usually use. It was good to get 3 days of hard running orienteering with appropiate winning times.
I agree with Michael about leg 1 day 2. The fast runner immediatly got a 30-60sec advantage. Neil is right that the techinical difficulty of the leg, ( you can add with as much route choice as possible) is the most important feature of an orienteering course. The control site is the means to the end to the leg. Fair but not a gift.
Neil has a good point about course setting coaching. Clubs should use their best setters and controllers to conduct a day at the start of the season whenever the hell that is these days .

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 6 June 2008, 3:19 AM  
I was disappointed at the lack of any sign that this was the 2008 Superseries final.

Nevertheless, congratulations to Greta and Simon in the juniors, and Chris and especially to Lizzie in the Seniors.

Show Profile  Casser Posted: 6 June 2008, 8:22 AM  
I totally aggree, there should be much more fush and things going on with the SuperSeries the whole way through. But yep I am the one that should sort it out, but it is just that I'm not very good at that part of the show and would like to and should give this part of the role to a person that is good at this.
I have put my effort mostly into trying to provide the types of competitions that has been asked for. And other stuff behind the scenes.
Next year I'll make an effort to approach people to help making a fush of the SuperSeries and the athletes. And to distribute the action and fun to everybody else to make everybody part of the show!

But it sure was cool to race out hard in the sanddunes! Action packed and fun!Thanks for that

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz