maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Sport Ident Organisational Matters

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 19 April 2013, 11:47 AM  
Sometimes it difficult to know what the default settings are once they have been changed. (it doesn't always have a reset to default button). I was just trying to help further explaining what we found.

To clarify:
"I suggest checking the csv export option delimiter setting *IN OE2003* and making sure *it is set to* the correct output field separator." It sounds like it has been changed.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 April 2013, 3:02 PM  
So if the settings in OE2003, once changed, stay non-default, could we please have a statement as to what they should be?

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 19 April 2013, 4:35 PM  
CSV format (semicolon ; separated)

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 April 2013, 4:54 PM  
Whew. Only 20 posts to get the answer. Thanks Rogy.

Show Profile  Rog Posted: 20 April 2013, 6:31 AM  
Having just re-read this, I missed saying I like the comment addison made "We need to facilitate discussion and developments of ideas... [on SPORTident (SI) use]".

Past and recent observations at events have highlighted a few things and caused me concern.

I'd like the discussion leading to a best practice for SPORTident to be used - one which takes in account the:
- NZOF Health and Safety - Search and Rescue Plan (updated to reflect current technology if appropriate),
- NZOF Controllers notes,
- IOF How to Control SPORTident notes [recently updated Feb2013],
- OE2010 software,
- latest updates,
- testing and proving of "what if" scenarios,
- and other standards or procedures clubs have.

Run every event like its a major event; When you have a major event its easy because of all the previous practice doing it right; If something goes wrong in a small event then procedures and documentation will be in place to resolve it by everyone; Potentially less reliance on the one or two individuals who know how it is working their way. The best practice can include cases where less rigorous steps are in place for small club events. I think we should have some sort of consistency.

I'm not fully aware of what is in the NZOF or other clubs pipeline already. I know some major events have been run very well. I have been seeing the many updates to NZ documents as they have been uploaded to the current website in preparation for changes and the new site.

AOC has training sessions planned for its members on a wide range of event running topics and SI is one of them. AOC has recently moved to OE2010 inline with NW and CM in the Auckland Region. I'm not one of the current club SI experts; I have been fortunate to have Alistair Stewart show me how OE2003 and the SI system works. I look forward to finding out more and getting updated. I also look forward to seeing us all share knowledge and techniques throughout NZ through use of the current technologies like real world meetings, online videos, and online meetings and broadcasted training sessions - the cost of which has come down dramatically.

Show Profile  AlisterM Posted: 2 February 2014, 1:52 PM  
I'm intending to train a lot more PAPO club members to be able to help run the OE2010 SportIdent software. So that I don't spend a whole lot of time rewriting something that has already been done, I'm looking for a simple manual describing the key features for new users and ideally with an FAQ section.

We are also using OS2010 for relays and OEScore V11, with all 3 programs having a similar interface and sharing the same archive, along with many other improvements over the previous versions.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 4 February 2014, 3:16 PM  
ACT has "A Beginners Guide to Using OE2010" and "Advanced Use of OE2010 SportSoftware". Both are pretty comprehensive documents and found here: http://act.orienteering.asn.au/event-management/

Also look at #8 (Guidelines for use of SportIdent Equipment ) and #9 (OE2010 User Guide ) on the Orienteering South Australia website:
http://www.sa.orienteering.asn.au/technical/EventMgmt/

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 27 October 2014, 9:50 AM  
There was a major stuff-up at the World Rogaining Champs which was using Sport Ident. Most cards could not be read and eventually results were compiled from the stations once they had been brought in. There is a review of the event at http://www.peakassurance.net/Reviews.html which has a section on the problems but I don't know enough to make sense of it. It doesn't seem to be related to the fact that this was a score event. It would be good to have comment from those who know more.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 27 October 2014, 10:55 AM  
Reading through the link Michael posted, it sounds like a custom-software issue rather than something wrong with the sportident hardware.

An application to calculate the scores and it has read the data form sportident cards wrong in some way and corrupted it in the process.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 30 April 2015, 2:44 PM  
Evening All,

Sportident have released a Firmware update as well as a new version of SIConfig.

Good luck!!!

Show Profile  Jymbo Posted: 30 April 2015, 4:32 PM  
Be careful about using the update. It makes your SI Units into beacons, for punch-less recording, like they use in sprints, or Ski O

Uses more battery, so maybe dont want to do it, unless you are going for punch less recording

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 24 March 2016, 1:46 PM  
Interesting little bug picked up in the Sportident Config Plus. Thanks to Alister for the fix. We just replaced the batteries on our units ahead of the nationals and I was updating the software. A number of controls would read as 3.00V in the software or Invalid. They would refuse to be updated or programmed. The issue is Config sometimes not waking up the unit before checking them. Waking up the unit with a sportident stick or Service Off unit first before trying them in Config worked.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 24 March 2016, 7:31 PM  
There's a help document which identifies the bug: "If you see a voltage of exactly 3.00V it is very likely but not guaranteed that this is an incorrect battery voltage."

http://www.sportident.co.uk/downloads/SPORTidentStations-WhenToReplaceBattery.pdf

... switch the station off then on again with the Service/Off key to see if a sensible voltage is now displayed.

... If you are still seeing an invalid voltage, please use SPORTident Config+ software to reset the station to its factory defaults. To do this click Commands -> Reset Device to Factory Defaults. You will need to re-program the station so that it has the correct Mode and code.

Show Profile  mcroxford Posted: 24 March 2016, 11:17 PM  
Cheers Martin. Yip that was the fault and fix. We experienced 9 units in last week and I think PAPO a couple. Never encountered before otherwise.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 9 October 2017, 12:03 PM  
From a training blog on Attackpoint:

Seems I didn't mispunch at the first control of the bunch start sprint at the Western Plains Zoo all those years ago. I saw the flash, heard the beep. The total faith in SI technology at the finish tent meant I was told I forgot to punch. Hard to do that in a bunch of six on a fist leg of 200 metres. So then I must have punched too quick. It wasn't an event of any importance so I sucked it up. But someone in Sweden didn't. He analysed a series of mispunches over a number of years. He downloaded controls, deeply interrogated sticks. The number of big names caught out grew. A fast New Zealander was caught by the bug in the firmware. Then a fast Brit. But when the fastest Swede was caught, the jig was up. Now SI admits there is a problem. Total rewrite of firmware is now promised. Can I have my result back?

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz