maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Sport Ident Organisational Matters

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 25 March 2009, 4:03 AM  
When people create an archive for use with the SI registry system, how do they ensure that eg a family hasn't swapped cards around for the day; a person hasn't changed clubs since last year; I haven't lent my card to someone cos I couldn't go; I have given up orienteering and sold my card? In other words where does the data come from and how is it maintained?

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 25 March 2009, 5:14 AM  
I use a collection of past events. after each event I add the entries. Most frequent user gets assigned the number unless a pattern of change in use is observed.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 July 2009, 10:28 AM  
Pros and cons of punching start vs start time as in the programme? After a recent event where there were a few hiccups, the debrief concluded "always punching start, takes everything in its stride". Any contrary views? How do you handle for example the person late for their start through their own fault.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 20 July 2009, 10:33 AM  
Their time starts as stated on the start list

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 July 2009, 11:57 AM  
Yes that's what we want to achieve, but with a punching start the organisation will have to do a series of manual actions in each case, with a risk of forgetting. Perhaps this is an acceptable "cost".

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 20 July 2009, 11:53 PM  
I would rather do away with allocated starts altogether as they are a pain to sort out and get correct, and then change to accommodate the parental splits etc.
Change the rules so that each class has a start Block - ie say 11:00 to 12:00 for M21e etc.
Then use the SI Start box, and the starter keeps people on each cse 2 or 3 minutes apart.
Anyone who misses the start block becomes unofficial.

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 21 July 2009, 1:26 AM  
Good in theory, but when the entire field of one class (on for eg good old crowded course 4) all turns up wanting to start in the last 10 minutes of their block, then what?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 22 July 2009, 1:35 AM  
I think O'Neman is right for a large event - and an orderly arrival at the start is easier to manage for officials. Thinking it over, I reckon the benefits of a punching start far outweigh the cost. I presume that in both cases the DNS competitors have to be actioned in the computer, so its only a small addition to record, and enter, the scheduled start times of the few who turned up late.

Any other issues? Do we have to worry, for example, about someone delaying their start punch ("woops, my shoelace just came undone, I'll go as as soon as I tie it...) so that they can more easily latch onto the top-ranker who is starting behind them? (I can feel a Wilf Holloway story coming on...)

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 23 July 2009, 2:41 PM  
DNS competitots can be automatically extracted by querying the start of check boxes

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 19 August 2009, 5:20 AM  
Russell you said you used new SI software last weekend. When you are back would you like to share details, pros and cons. For example you reported it doesn't export splits in csv format (as required for RouteGadget). Anyone else using SW other than Stephen Kramer's?

Show Profile  rhigham Posted: 27 August 2009, 2:20 PM  
I have been trailing some simple SI software SIME, have used it twice now. Whilst it doesn't have all the bells and whistle (and pedantic bloatedness) of Sports Software. It will work fine for small events up to and including OYs. Where SS has been developed for large events and we are trying to use it for small ones, for which it is overly complex. The main drawback is that only a limited number of users understand SS fully, and are reluctant to spend the time learning.
SIME on the other hand is simple to set-up and simple to use. The drawback is the outputs are basic. Fine for winsplits but not for Routegadget. All the files it uses are user accessible as simple text files (not hidden in inaccessible dB files).
I reckon RK will be using this as a standard, and I will developing some software to process outputs to suit us, and some to keep an 'Archive' up to date. Check it out....

Show Profile  AlanHorn Posted: 18 November 2009, 11:50 PM  
I would like to reiterate what I said earlier. Do away with Start times. Doing the inital start list is fairly straight forward - but its the requests for special start times thats bothersome. Specially when you get a constant stream of them during the week leading up to the event. (and yes we do aim to accommodate all such requests.)
On the other hand weve told the on-the-day helpers to ignore the published start times and run when they can - and we'll alter their start times in the computer afterwards.

Next time I do an event like Welly Champs - if I have my way you are just getting a window of 2-3 hours in which to start.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 19 November 2009, 12:54 AM  
Better solution, just state that there will be a $5 fee for all changes, and enforce it.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 19 November 2009, 1:29 AM  
Trouble is, people accept entries really late.

This makes the start lists go out late.

This leaves the time for 'error corrections and start list modifications' low.

So do a few things, charge a penalty fee for entering late (therefore making programming time worth it). Get the initial entry list posted online before the event, so if people are entered in the wrong grades etc then they can get them edited before it is a problem. After entry date closes, charge them. And at the event, charge people for changes.

Money talks.

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 8 December 2009, 2:20 AM  
Can anyone throw light on this: I wanted to put some results into Winsplits and I figured that "by course" would be more interesting. Eg for the one woman on C1. So I used the csv file by course.

There were two classes on each course: eg C2-Men and C2-Women. Winsplits created 60-odd "courses". For example all the men on C2 from the fastest down to the first woman; then the woman; then all the men down to the next woman; then the woman/women in that next block; etc. Almost completely useless.

Short-term fix - loaded the "by class" file successfully. Anyone know what I can do to get the desired result by course? We were using OE2003 so it might be something back there.

I have use the "by course" file to load into RouteGadget and it appears fine.

1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz