maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2   3  

otago champs

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 20 March 2008, 8:46 AM  
Yes you would be right. I estimate the area has not been used since the last hillbilly challenge there in 2002. First time that area over by Coal pit dam has been used since its been OCADed. Carsten spent quite a bit of his controlling time fixing the map up!
The vegetation has improved significantly, so much so that I thought it would be criminal to not use it!

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 20 March 2008, 9:21 AM  
In general I don't go along with Jamie's desire to see NZOF take charge of mapping. But Naseby is so fantastic that it might be an exception. It is also very expensive to map, with the so-called revision for the SI 7-day taking it backwards from the original APOC mapping.

One thing though, I don't think the diggings are appropriate for the long distance. This is middle and sprint terrain. I look forward to running on the sprint map. Are we going to get a chance after Oceania? I reckon you should use the village itself.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 20 March 2008, 12:10 PM  
Haha, that isn't my desire at all.

My desire is that NZOF instead of wasting time with paid positions that achieve sweet stuff all .....eg coaching director, development officer, whatever is currently advertised....have a paid mapping director who works with a network of club based volunteers to bring best practice mapping practices to all our clubs. This includes making the most of grant applications and keeping good databases of maps, potential maps and timeframes of use/development.

I also think that all maps should be made freely available, after a short (2-3 event) restricted period, for all parties to run events on...be they clubs, individuals, schools, whatever (on payment of a per map levy). That in my opinion may lead to a proliferation of clubs/event organisers better able to serve various demographics, communities, whatever of the orienteering scene.

We need to development infrastructure and ideas specific to our sport, and the orienteering environment in which we exist where there are limited good areas for orienteering.

A centralised program would have the broader perspective to recognise the really important areas for orienteering in NZ, which Naseby is one without a doubt. There are still large areas of brilliant virgin orienteering terrain in Naseby, which is a tragedy for all experienced orienteers in NZ who exist largely on a diet of absolute dross by comparison.

Username

Password

Register  
1   2   3  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz