maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

NZ O Rep

Show Profile  damof Posted: 5 March 2008, 6:58 AM  
Can someone tell me who was the first person or people were to represent NZ at Orienteering and when?

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 5 March 2008, 10:50 PM  
The first international competition was a match against Australia in 1971 - included Ralph King, Gordon Pirie.

NZ's first representation at World Championships was 1976 - included John & Val Robinson, John and Robyn Davies.

In either case, if you go to Bryan Teahan's stats website I think both the Australian Champs 1971 and World Champs 1976 are on there and the results will show which NZers participated.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 6 March 2008, 12:26 AM  
Check out the newspaper articles and commentary on my website (the NZOF statistics website):
http://www.orienteeringresults.com/O/nzof/EarlyYearsMenu.asp

If anyone has any information, results, photos, newspaper articles for 1971 I would love to see them.

Also, I'm missing the results for the 1974 Nationals. I know the event was held on Dec 15, 1974. I would greatly appreciate if someone would look in the NZ Herald archives for Dec 16,17,18 for
any results and either email a scanned image or a photocopy of the results. The archives can either be found in the NZ Herald offices in Auckland or the National Library in Wellington.

Show Profile  damof Posted: 6 March 2008, 1:14 AM  
I have worked with a gentleman here and have done so for the past 8 years and he just told me that his uncle was one of the first nz orienteers by the name of Beau Doherty. Sure enought with your info Bryan there he was. Ive printed out some of the herald article and given them to him. Bye the bye, what a LOVELY photo on the cover of the latest NZ O Magazine. LOL

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 8 March 2008, 3:08 PM  
Bryan, in the first team to Australia was Perry Cunningham. Perry is co-ordinator of sport at Kings College in Auckland. an email could give you some valuable info. I will give you more detail tomorrow

Show Profile  robbie Posted: 10 March 2008, 8:16 AM  
Bryan, p.cunningham@kingscollege.school.nz
ps I have finally got your trophy and will engrave it.

Show Profile  Bryan Posted: 11 March 2008, 12:05 AM  
Thanks robbie - I'll follow up with Perry.

You don't have any old results lurking in a shed or box somewhere do you? I'd love to get my hands on them and make a copy for the NZOF
historical records.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz