maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Test Match scores

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 19 February 2008, 4:56 PM  
I think the new scoring system for the test matches works well. Another thought Shep and i were discussing was the change from scores accumulating to taking each day as a different 'match'.
This will help prevent the scores blowing out such as happened this year. From my point of view the Aussies new they had little chance of winning and went into the last race with very little motivation.
If they were down 1-2 or level 1-1 for example there is a lot more to run for.
This does mean an odd number of races should be run each year so a winner can be determined.

What do u think?

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 20 February 2008, 5:23 AM  
What is the new scoring system?

Don't neccessarily agree with the 1 day 1 point system. Might end up that the best team didn't win.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 20 February 2008, 6:12 AM  
I think these Aussies are just trying to do an underarm on us.

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 20 February 2008, 11:42 AM  
Hahaha knew there would be some cagey responses.

The 'old' scoring (12,8,4,3,2,1) was replaced by a new one (10,9,8,...3,2,1). Only 4 runners from each team score points, however the 5th and 6th team runners can prevent the other team from scoring points.

Say NZ get the top 6 results aussies then 7-12. NZ would get 10,9,8,7 and while the last two NZer's would not scoring 6,5 they would stop the Aussies scoring them. Then Aussies get 4,3,2,1. Get it?

Show Profile  Michael Posted: 21 February 2008, 3:40 PM  
This cropped up in the ANZ MTBO Challenge last November, but the fledgling rules didn't cater for it. NZ won the first two of the three races 4-3, 4-3 (classes). The feeling in our camp was that we should work on total classes, otherwise it would have been all over at that point. Both countries therefore had plenty of motivation for the final race (which Australia claimed, but NZ won the series). Wouldn't "highest points" be more likely than "highest days" to keep the door open for the chasing side?

Show Profile  A1 Posted: 22 February 2008, 7:58 AM  
I think the new system is heaps better, cos it means that everyone in the team can contribute to the score, where as before it really depended on the best runner/s in each team. this year was closer than its been in the past, but a thrashing is still a thrashing and maybe the aussies need to do a bit more to make sure they bring their A game.

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 22 February 2008, 11:20 AM  
I think the Aussies main problem is that they don't have a b,c or d game. Their a game is awesome

Where is the depth in Australian orienteering?

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 22 February 2008, 12:12 PM  
its the width that's important

Show Profile  davemeyer Posted: 26 February 2008, 4:22 AM  
Michael i understand your reasoning, i guess it works both ways. I was just talking about a big blowout on one day ruining the chance of either team competing for the overall honours. In a cricket one day series they dont total the runs from each match during a series to determine a winner, each game is a separate event....

Jamie, good point, i think part of blame rests with lazy pricks like me who should be coming through....

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz