maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

1   2  

After Oceania 2009

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 11 February 2008, 2:37 PM  
Ideas have been floating around about an after Oceania carnival next year. As there will in all likely hood be no Waitangi events, it may be a good opportunity to explore the southern maps again.

With a possible draft programme of Oceania finishing up in Naseby with a MTBO it seems almost too good an opportunity to miss out on doing some foot orienteering on one of NZ's most talked about maps.

Anyway, without going too much further, I need to know whether YOU people would be keen for more orienteering after 10 or so days of Oceania?

I would hope to have maybe a 4 day carnival? in a similar style to the Waitangi and Aftermatch events or recent times

Let me know your thoughts, so I can get the ball rolling....or stick this idea back on the shelf never to see the light of day...again...or in the near future?

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 14 February 2008, 5:22 AM  
well with warm up events held my nelson/marlborough, the actualy carnival in chch, it makes sense for a warm down to be in dunedin/southland. perhaps with aid from southerly storm members and anyone who's interested.

Show Profile  addison Posted: 14 February 2008, 7:10 AM  
sounds great to me

Show Profile  onemanfanclub Posted: 16 February 2008, 5:10 AM  
Some of the aussies over for Waitangi were almost literally drooling when they heard rumours there might be more happening than just the Oceania carnival, so there's a few entries already =)

Show Profile  SimonB Posted: 16 February 2008, 5:55 AM  
i was also thinking we could do it as "TAMOC 09" with nwoc permission of course...

Show Profile  mal g Posted: 18 February 2008, 5:41 AM  
With the time frame of oceania immediately after new year, I personally will look to be already in the South Island for xmas etc - so would relish the idea of extra events. BRING IT ON !!!!!

Show Profile  Paul I Posted: 18 February 2008, 6:28 AM  
Clearly the is potential to provide the opportunity for visitors to have a great holiday with events near some of NZ's best tourist locations... so the suggested format of starting around Nelson, moving to ChCh then to say central Otago sounds mouthwatering providing there is plenty of rest days in which to do other activities - it is possible to have too many events and make the carnival too tiring and drawn out. I'd go for quality not quantity, I relish the chance of going to your most unique and famous maps, any more and I personally risk not getting my family to join me. Others may be more O junkies than myself, but I doulbt it.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 February 2008, 9:13 AM  
sounds like an awesome idea, early starts would be cool, to leave the rest of the day free for exploration

Show Profile  Jamie Posted: 18 February 2008, 10:55 AM  
yeah totally back that last comment martin. definitely a learning point from this years carnival.

Show Profile  Greg Posted: 18 February 2008, 11:04 AM  
Yeah nothing like organisers having to get up at 4am so you can laze in the sun, brilliant.

Show Profile  Martin Posted: 18 February 2008, 1:58 PM  
yes greg, i know first hand "first there, last to leave". Still like the idea.

Show Profile  Neil K Posted: 18 February 2008, 2:31 PM  
Hi Bloomers,

Just play the devils advocate here a bit. Because nobody seems to want to knock it. My concern is that you will struggle for large numbers for after match carnival in January. The reason is that MOST of us (above commentors excepted) have a regular job and struggle with time off for the year (given that the norm is four weeks a year and there are heaps of good orienteering events and camps to attend each year). Given that the Christmas/New Year break is likely to claim one weeks holiday and then there is the Oceania champs, a third week in the same months may be a challenge for most New Zealanders and Australians to attend...despite the fact it will be bloody good fun.

Show Profile  Tane Cambridge Posted: 18 February 2008, 2:42 PM  
Thanks Neil
Any feedback (good or bad) is good :-)

Show Profile  addison Posted: 18 February 2008, 2:55 PM  
Whatever happens Tane I think there are a few key things to include:

- There is large pool of orienteers who will be more than happy to stay on and do some quality otago orienteering

- Include your events on the oceanias entry form. Do whatever it takes to have this happen, it is well worth it.

- Neils comments do have some truth in them, but the reality is orienteers will always make time. It is easier getting time off in early Jan than any other time.

Show Profile  Alistair Posted: 18 February 2008, 5:22 PM  
From an international viewpoint I'd say the more races the better - the most important thing is the timing. Fairly compact to minimize holiday days but with enough time to do the odd other thing. I think if there are these extra races at Naseby and maybe Waikaia or some other 'special' areas it would make it much more attractive to international visitors.

You should also make the decision about this soon because Europeans often start to think about such trips a few months in advance - so get some juicy map-clips and the odd photo onto a web-site linked to the WoO calendar ASAP.

Show Profile  mick finn Posted: 18 February 2008, 6:12 PM  
What about a xmas 5days style event in Nelson? Beaches, good maps, music festivals, gotta be a drawcard. The original 5days in NSW had early starts to beat the heat and allow lots of beach time.

1   2  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz