maptalk.co.nz Forum   |   Links    

Forum

Forum Home   Start New Topic   Edit Profile   Register  

Closing time

Show Profile  stu barr Posted: 5 November 2001, 9:10 AM  
Why are the closing dates for our pre-entry events so far before the actual events?
I have just read that entries for the Summer 7 Days in January are due on December 01 this year.

Is this just a piece of nostalgia from the days when it took 7 days to snail mail your entry, another seven days for a cheque to clear and then seven days for the "hard copy" programme to be snail mailed back?
Today an entry form could be posted on the web by the host club, an entry submitted with an electronic bank transaction to cover costs by the competitor and their programme emailed back to them in the space of a morning.
I know for a fact that the days of ten committed members of the organising club spending the last week prior to the event not sleeping or eating, so they can draw up maps by hand for every competitor and attach descriptions and write on clipcards..... is over. Infact I believe one of the courses for the recent Wellington champs was at the printers the day before the race.
Shouldn't this mean entries could have been recieved the day before the day before?

Show Profile  Dave Barr Posted: 5 November 2001, 12:27 PM  
You have to remember that these are people who think a b&w magazine is a better way to publicise our sport than a decent website - I'm not sorry, offence intended.

Show Profile  HeadHoncho Posted: 5 November 2001, 1:44 PM  
Dave you poor misguided, cynical, frustrated boy ...

Clubs are the ones who decide when entries close. NZOF is the one who continues with the mag.

I've read your other posting. Get your application for NZOF webmaster in quick. I'll gladly pay you $480 out of my own pocket if you can convince the NZOF Council that you can do a better job of webmaster than the incumbent. Council meets on Friday.

Show Profile  AlanH Posted: 7 November 2001, 5:57 AM  
We opted for such an early entry date to try and avoid having to print maps during Xmas -New Year - early Jan when everything might be shut.
Let alone us wanting a holiday.

We will still be taking late entiries (subject to spare maps) up until the event date.

PS I think theres a rule which states that closure for pre-entry events should not be longer than 6 weeks before the event. We are right on the limit of that.

Username

Password

Register  

Ruffneck Productions © Ruffneck Productions maptalk.co.nz